Did I make a huge mistake?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevH

Reaction score
So I started smoking a pipe last January. Prior to that I had smoked a few cigars over the years (probably under 10) and that was it.

The first blend I tried was a local tobacconist's match for Dunhill Early Morning Pipe. It was too strong at the time (although it probably wouldn't be now).

Then I tried a fruity Altadis aromatic. Yuck! Not for me.

I found some SG Squadron Leader and thought it good. I used this to learn how to smoke and still enjoy a bowl.

Then I found Penzance. I read reviews online and was finally able to find a couple 8oz bags. It was bliss. I jarred both bags and have smoked a little off and on over the past year. I know it isn't an "everyday blend," but since I don't smoke every day I guess it doesn't matter.

So my problem now is that other tobaccos I try don't seem to be able to live up to Penzance. I tried smoking another aromatic today (WO Larsen Signature) and felt sick (every aromatic I have tried to date makes me feel sick). Most other tobaccos I try I don't care for.

Did I make a huge mistake smoking Penzance so early in my pipe smoking pursuits? Where the heck do I go from here?

There's many places to go.
C&D Yale Mixture
Ashton Artisans Blend
Any number of GL Pease heavy English.
Dans, Sam Gawith, and on and on.

I started on Penzance (before it became the cool kid).. There's literally boatloads of blends in the same category.

In short, no.

Its way too early in your smoking career to even know all the blends you prefer or if you will prefer something more than Penzance. If anything, its given you a beautiful benchmark to work against.

Spread out and try lots. Aromatics aren't your thing, okay, I don't like them either. Branch out into burleys, Virginias, vapers, balkans, and other lat blends.

Tobacco is a great big world. Its daunting but great. Enjoy it!

KevH":1kestcs6 said:
So I started smoking a pipe last January. Prior to that I had smoked a few cigars over the years (probably under 10) and that was it.

The first blend I tried was a local tobacconist's match for Dunhill Early Morning Pipe. It was too strong at the time (although it probably wouldn't be now).

Then I tried a fruity Altadis aromatic. Yuck! Not for me.

I found some SG Squadron Leader and thought it good. I used this to learn how to smoke and still enjoy a bowl.

Then I found Penzance. I read reviews online and was finally able to find a couple 8oz bags. It was bliss. I jarred both bags and have smoked a little off and on over the past year. I know it isn't an "everyday blend," but since I don't smoke every day I guess it doesn't matter.

So my problem now is that other tobaccos I try don't seem to be able to live up to Penzance. I tried smoking another aromatic today (WO Larsen Signature) and felt sick (every aromatic I have tried to date makes me feel sick). Most other tobaccos I try I don't care for.

Did I make a huge mistake smoking Penzance so early in my pipe smoking pursuits? Where the heck do I go from here?
You don't have to go anywhere! You've found a blend that 'does it" for you and how you smoke. Lot's of folks spend decades trying to find "that" blend/mixture. Enjoy it and as you want, try other blends while still enjoying your Penzance. The whole idea of this thing is to get enjoyment from it. Your enjoying it so what's wrong? You DON'T have to Ping-Pong from blend to blend as is the fashion with many folks to be a "pipe smoker"  :p  :p

give it some time your taste will change anyways, and you will love something else for a while

What Harry said. That's been my experience anyway.

IMHO the blenders who create good to excellent tobacco and who also sell that tobacco in bulk are just about the only blenders from whom I buy bulk. That means that for me, and this is just my opinion, the American burley blends, i.e. Carter Hill, Sugar Barrel, etc., Ataldis, Lane and all those value pipe blends in the big bags I would never smoke. To say that other tobaccos don't shine for you having smoked Penzance is not a true measure of either your frustration or defeat; instead it is simply a wake-up call to what you like.

They say that Penzance is really an Oriental and not heavy latakia; I wouldn't know as it's always puzzled me. If you like it you might also like Mr. Pease's new blend Gaslight. Flavor in it is balanced between the heavy latakia and the dazzling use of orientals. I've never tasted anything like it.

At this point, I'm pretty much just piggybacking on what everyone else has said, but:

1. You found what you like. That's a good thing. Plenty of people smoke one, two, or three blends regularly and enjoy themselves as much as folks who smoke a little bit of everything.

2. Tastes change. Then they often change again. And again, and again, and again.

I used to smoke aromatics, as others did early on. I couldn't stand Latakia. Then I got into Virginias and VaPers and though "this is it...I've finally found what I'm looking for." and I knew aromatics would never do it for me again. Down the road, I tried Latakia again and LOVED the stuff. Now my rotation includes a variety of blends with combinations of Virginia, Latakia, Perique, Oriental, Burley, etc. Oh...and the aros that I swore off forever? Sometimes I still get the hankerin' for some Lane 1Q or something similar.

Some find a blend/genre and stay with it forever - don't be surprised if you're like many of the rest of us and your tastes move around.

3. Penzance. If you love it, congrats. But you might want to take a look at some of the blends (and others) that PB suggested. Not because you HAVE to have more than one blend, but because Penzance's availability can be trouble sometimes and - and this may or may not be a concern for you - are also subject to some significant price fluxuations.

KevH":mfyggrf8 said:
So I started smoking a pipe last January.
There are no mistakes in the pipe world; just adds to you knowledge base.

Penzance not an "every day"? Who says so?

Explore other blends containing Latakia.

Warm Wishes for Your Quest,

monbla256":9diikhdw said:
You don't have to go anywhere! You've found a blend that 'does it" for you and how you smoke. Lot's of folks spend decades trying to find "that" blend/mixture. Enjoy it and as you want, try other blends while still enjoying your Penzance. The whole idea of this thing is to get enjoyment from it. Your enjoying it so what's wrong? You DON'T have to Ping-Pong from blend to blend as is the fashion with many folks to be a "pipe smoker"  :p  :p
This.

I'd say it's good to try "the standards" of particular categories. A lot of the times I'll end up on something else. The latest example for me is Dunhill EMP. Most people find it a "meh" blend. I really like it. Penzance is a great blend. It's good you have a point of reference based on a blend that many think of as "the best".

I've been smoking Tilbury quite a lot but SG FVF is my #1 favorite.

Like with "session beers", give Penzance a little time before you go and buy 10lbs of it. :)

You're too young to go steady just yet:) If you like her, fine. But others offer a bit of fun, too. And there are plenty of tobaks that are inexpensive yet eager to please and low maintenance. Much to be said for those qualities on occasion. (You'll see them described as "drugstore" and "codger" blends.) Penzance was your fist great crush. That's nice:)

Penzance can be a harsh mistress; difficult to find, $$, strange, in some ways... the scent of it reminds me of ketchup!

But, once lit... one tiny puff is all it takes to fall in love... for the last time in your life!

Best,

puros_bran - Bless you for recommending Ashton's Artisan blend!

I bought a tin of the new Three Nuns to see what all the fuss was about...meh...I smoked it for about ten minutes and decided it did nothing for me.

Not to waste the morning and chance for a smoke, I loaded my pipe with the Ashton's blend. Absolute bliss!

It's definitely the latakia that I'm after.

ive-made-a-huge-mistake.gif

:)

Two links might be of interest:

1) the 376 TR reviews of Penzance
2) LMGTFY

zonomo":eyctksrk said:
Whats wrong with continuing on with the Penz?
There's nothing wrong with Penzance other than it's extremely hard to find and once you've had it many other things seem a bit...the work I'm looking for...droll.

I'm really enjoying the Ashton's Artisan Blend.

I would recommend trying Escudo for a great classic Virginia/Perique blend and a tin of Brigham Klondike Gold for a great tasting Virginia Flake. If you want something with some Burley, give Mac Baren Old Dark Fired a shot. Now will have tried 3 new categories of blends and you can branch out from those if you find you like them.