Did Savineli ever offer the Autograph with Acrylic no filter

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stapf

Reaction score
I bought a Sav Autograph the other day which has the proper Autograph stem without a filter, but the stem appears and feels like acrylic. I thought they switched to all filter stems when they switched to acrylic. Am I wrong? Or is this not acrylic and I'm just wrong about the material of the stem?

The first Autograph I saw back in the early '80s had an Acrylic stem/no filter and it's my understanding they have ALWAYS had Acrylic stems. Some with, some without filters. Most of their pipes sold in Germany have filters as they are very popular there. Was it a new pipe or used? :twisted:

I had read somewhere that they had switched from vulcanite to Acrylic in the early 80's on the Autograph and at the same time made the Autograph filter only. Smokingpipes.com list all of their estates without a filter as vulcanite and with a filter as acrylic as well.

This is an estate pipe and I know based on the other estates that shop purchased in this batch most date to the early to mid 80's.

I wasn't sure if there was a transition between where they did acrylic non filter pipes or if they weren't absolute in only offering filters after the transition.

There may be exceptions to the rule. Savinelli Oom Pauls have acrylic stems but don't take the filter. I know I have this in a modern Hercules and I think my Lucite Oscar is the same.

Just checked them. The Oscar Lucite 604ks has a non filter yellow Lucite stem. The Hercules 604ex has a non filter acrylic stem but appears as though Savinelli put a permanent adapter into a tenon that could have accepted a filter should it have not been modified. For context, these pipes are modern production having been bought new from Smoking Pipes within the last few years.

monbla256":uky9hsa5 said:
The first Autograph I saw back in the early '80s had an Acrylic stem/no filter and it's my understanding they have ALWAYS had Acrylic stems. Some with, some without filters. Most of their pipes sold in Germany have filters as they are very popular there. Was it a new pipe or used? :twisted:
Not to disagree but I have an older signature with a vulcanite stem no filter. MIKE