Different pen…same glorious ink.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
So…my long suffering wife gave me a very nice pen for Christmas…a Platinum Century 3776 (M) in Laurel Green & Gold. This is one of my favorite pens. They feel right in the hand to me, have JUST the right level of feedback and the “slip-n-seal” seal actually does keep the nib wet and ready for about a year, even if it just sits on your desk. And green is my favorite.

So I added a Platinum converter and filled it with the Diamine November Rain ink I was raving about before. Yeah, this is pretty much a match made in heaven. Regardless of how the photos look the green of the pen’s green is so dark it should be called midnight green…subtle. And since the ink sheens from the a dark forest to what I call purple. It’s a beautiful pen/ink match. The pen is a medium and it is nice and juicy so the ink’s sheen shiws very well. Beautiful.

F424C1A2-4169-4259-BB43-D6F76D643A76.jpeg
7163D045-5476-4A18-8A77-8C891EAAC1BC.jpeg
7F1FF3FF-1FD4-46D5-83F8-2E17DC13DBEC.jpeg

This may seem like either a silly or naive question, but when do you use a pen?
The only time I ever actually write via handwriting is when I write a check and that may happen once or twice a month.

If you never write anything then a pen isn’t for you. But other than that fairly rational response here’s a basic list:

1. Journaling
2. Lists
3. Notecards
4. Calligraphy
5. Drawing
6. Letters to family/friends
7. Poetry
8. Meal planning
9. Correspondence
10. Book notes
11. Recipes
12. Family histories
13. Yadda, yadda, yadda

If you never write anything then a pen isn’t for you. But other than that fairly rational response here’s a basic list:

1. Journaling
2. Lists
3. Notecards
4. Calligraphy
5. Drawing
6. Letters to family/friends
7. Poetry
8. Meal planning
9. Correspondence
10. Book notes
11. Recipes
12. Family histories
13. Yadda, yadda, yadda
I do many of those things, but always by computer or phone, at least one of which I always have with me.

I do many of those things, but always by computer or phone, at least one of which I always have with me.
FINE! It’s very comforting to know that you’re well taken care of.
My elementary school education formally began in 1949, plus my mother was an elementary school teacher. Penmanship via the Palmer Method was mandatory. Poor cursive penmanship was enough to send a child to summer school or to be held back a grade. My left handed brother had a very difficult time during his early years. I, on the other hand, loved to practice my cursive penmanship and my handwriting was a good facsimile of the Palmer Method example cards posted over the blackboard. Once I got to high school, when it became necessary to quickly take notes, I and most of my classmates bailed on the Palmer Method for a combination of printing and pseudo-cursive; whatever could be written quickly and remain legible. Ballpoint pens supplanted our Estherbrook and Parker fountain pens. I'd be very surprised if either of my daughters, 43 and 35, have ever written with a fountain pen.

At university, "blue-book" written essay tests were often required to be legibly printed. I don't know if cursive is even taught in elementary schools anymore.