Different Wood

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amenhotep04

Reaction score
Hey all, just a quick question, how do different woods smoke? Olive, Lemon, Bog Oak? Pros, Cons?

:farao:

European olive smokes beautifully. It is more absorbant than briar, and it smokes just lovely. It's way softer though, so it's a much less durable pipe, in terms of finish quality. The African (wild) olive is much denser and harder.

There's probably worse woods to make pipes out of than walnut, but I can't think of any. Unless you really like the taste of walnut. Burning.

Sasquatch":y1y1p9jn said:
There's probably worse woods to make pipes out of than walnut, but I can't think of any. Unless you really like the taste of walnut. Burning.
Hey JP loves it :!: :lol!:

Sasquatch":w2fazbxv said:
European olive smokes beautifully. It is more absorbant than briar, and it smokes just lovely. It's way softer though, so it's a much less durable pipe, in terms of finish quality. The African (wild) olive is much denser and harder.
Todd, how would one know where the olive is from if not buying from the pipe maker?

BTW, the pipe is just wonderful. Smokes great.

:farao:

Apple wood makes a great pipe. It has a perfectly neutral flavor, but the grain is not as interesting as in briar.

The two olive woods have nothing in common. European is generally light, not very dense, and has fairl plain graining which is basically related to heartwood/sapwood. The wild olive from Africa is more dense than briar and apparently hard as a rock.

So if you are seeing an olive out of Italy, it's probably the european stuff. It is more sensitive to heat than briar imho, but if you smoke with any care it works fine.

EJinVA":yc577hzi said:
Sasquatch":yc577hzi said:
Hey JP loves it :!: :lol!:
Black Walnut to be specific! :lol:

Honestly and EJ should be able to testify, good old Mountain Laurel is the best wood for pipes short of the Heath Tree.

Sasquatch":4zomabdc said:
How about balsa?

:lol:

I bought a pipe online that was advertised as padouk (there are sp. variations). It smoked fine, but then I read somewhere that padouk is toxic. So just to make sure.... :no:

Has anyone seen the pipes made of Yak horn on ebay? I keep thinking that is an interesting idea and wonder what other people think.

shortcircuit":30d23mbe said:
Has anyone seen the pipes made of Yak horn on ebay? I keep thinking that is an interesting idea and wonder what other people think.
If you mean as the bowl, it would burn.

Buddy

Justpipes":tl40ev7a said:
Honestly and EJ should be able to testify, good old Mountain Laurel is the best wood for pipes short of the Heath Tree.
I've heard that, never tried it. I wonder about Wild Cherry, that stuff grows like a weed around here, I wish I could find a use for it.

EJinVA":py01kvf4 said:
Justpipes":py01kvf4 said:
I've heard that, never tried it. I wonder about Wild Cherry, that stuff grows like a weed around here, I wish I could find a use for it.
Jerry Perry makes pipes out of NC/VA Mountain Laurel and the one I have is one of the best smoking pipes I own. Virginias smoke particularly well in it. Some pipes made by Dr. Grabow and Kaywoodie during and around the WWII years were carved from Mountain Laurel.

JP, do you think there will be any of those Jerry Perry Mountain Laurel pipes at the Raleigh show?

-Andrew

Andrew,
He was at the TAPs show last year. He also has a table in the Village of Yesteryear at the State Fair every year