Digital camera problem - need advice please!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briar Spirit

Reaction score
To avoid typing the whole story again I'll quote the topic content from my topic at the fellowship:

Earlier today our youngest was sitting on my lap doing her daily routine of demanding every little thing she could see that she could command me to pass to her for her cute little investigative inspection. She noticed my crappy old camera for the first time today and promptly demanded I pass it to her for her to have a look-see. Of course I did the no sweetie Daddy needs that to stay in one piece, well that was a mistake, man she doesn't like being told no and she abruptly launched herself into attack Daddies face mode and got a damn good grip on my beard with one hand and my left upper eyelid with the other, I tell ya that got boring real damn fast.

What can ya do, she's too young to respond to any kind of reason so I got our eldest to quickly pass me my camera and I handed it to Isis. Instantly the pain abated from the face as she started cooing at the delights of having Daddies camera. Surprisingly it went rather well, she didn't attempt to take it to pieces immediately so that was a relief and when she got bored of it she didn't proceed to throw it across the room for which I suppose I am to be grateful, nope, Isis simply put it down on my knee and grabbed her beaker of Ribena and started guzzling a hearty thirst quenching drink of that.

Our eldest daughter asked if I would let her have a look at the pipes on Paul's site so I navigated to his website using my left hand as the right arm was making sure Isis was safely secured on my lap. I hadn't noticed that my camera had slipped from my knee and was then sitting on the seat cushion between my legs. Out of the blue Isis decides she's had enough of her drink and as usual just dropped the beaker, it landed between my legs and upside down, ahhhh, you're seeing it now aren't you!

Lea came through from the kitchen and quickly put her hand over her mouth and was stifling a half laugh come muffled shriek of horror "your camera" she says with a sense of foreboding only a lass can muster. I looked down at the seat cushion and there was Isis' beaker upside down and right underneath it, you got it was my camera and it was seemingly enjoying a good old hearty drink of Ribena too.

So, Lea took Isis from my lap and I rather nervously removed the beaker from the scene and picked up my now dripping camera. I removed the batteries and dried off the outside as best I could whilst also swabbing out the battery compartment and the usb port then placed it on a big ol wad of kitchen towels to let it dry. I gave it a good 8 hours to dry out, and it did seem to be perfectly dry so I put the batteries back in and rather triumphantly switched on the camera knowingly full well that it would just burst into life like nothing was out of sorts, nothing happened!

No problem I says to myself, obviously the batteries have just happened to run out of juice at that precise moment so I raided the batteries for the TV remote and popped them into the camera. With a big ol stupid smirk on my face I proceeded to turn on the camera feeling all cocky and self assured that my diagnosis was right on the spot, yup, nothing happened. Bah, just another stupid coincidence right, those batteries also had just happened to run out juice right at that point, so I get the batteries from the torch Rob sent us, you got it, nothing bloody happened, at this point my smug dumb-shit grin had taken a turn for the worse, it was time to face the reality of the situation, my camera wasn't bloody thirsty and it didn't fecking well like Ribena either so it packed up it's little shoulder bag and buggered off, never to return.

Isis is absolutely delighted with this turn of events as she now has Daddies camera as her own special little toy, I must admit it is pretty cool seeing how much she loves being able to muck about with it now. The downside of course, no more blooming camera, not the end of the world of course, we're all fine and the house hasn't fallen over or anything ghastly like that, so count me blessings kind of thing.
The next day I found out this:

Woooohooooo, there's a turn up for the books, Lea suggested I give it another try this morning and BINGO, the nasty little ratty camera fired up no problem at all, everything seems to be working well enough too, ha-ha, the worm is turning life, up yours ugly, woooohooo..............
Later on yesterday I found out this:

Thank you Rob, sadly it seems something isn't right with it though, doesn't matter what settings I use for the camera every single photograph is turning out very very dark, so dark in fact that no matter what I do with them in Photoshop I cannot get the image to show, I think it might be the CCD Sensor but then again I know more about Stellar Nurseries than cameras and I know sod all about Stellar Nurseries. I searched a few photography forums today and the general consensus seems to be that once a camera develops a thirst for Kiddie drinks it's time to look for a new camera, nadgers!
I am totally lost without my Digital camera and cannot possibly stretch to buying another one, do any of you guys know what might the Ribena have done to the camera inside and how I might be able to fix it, it doesn't have a warranty anymore as it's an older camera and I can't afford to get it professionally repaired, I wondered if I might be able to fix it myself if anyone knew what I need to do to fix it. I would be ever so grateful if any one could help me out here by telling me what to look at fixing, I use my camera a great deal for many different things and I'm more than a little lost without it.

What type of camera is it? There are a number of items that it could be but knowing the the type of camera may help me direct you in how best to clean it. The biggest issue is not the liquid itself but the sugars inside the juice. As the liquid evaporates they will leave a residue over the various electronics and the sensor.

Let me know what the camera is and I will see if I can help you

The sensors are sensitive but it is really the filter that overlays them that takes the hit. I imagine Ribena is a fruit drink which means that it probably has some acidic quality. If that is the case your CCD or CMOS is gone. When I first read this my reaction was that after pulling the batteries you could have diluted the effector the liquid by placing the unit in distiller water then putting it in uncooked rice to absorb the water. This is a common method of recovering liquid damaged cell phones so I would expect it might work with a digital camera. When I realized what Ribena likely was all I could do was remove my hat in respect for your dearly departed sensor.

I would imagine any mechanical parts are also gummed up by the sugar.

Does anything work such as the focus, zoom etc? If so then it may just be the sensor. If you can find another one that may be physically damaged, like lens etc. maybe a local warranty depot for the brand can swap out the sensors.

Forgot to mention the camera make, it was an old Canon Powershot, aye the drink was a sweet sticky fruit drink, doesn't matter now mind, a chap across the road took a look at it for me this afternoon, he pronounced it dead on arrival so it's gone in the trash, I am so gutted.

Sorry to hear that, Kirk. Perhaps the brothers in either BoB or the Fellowship can dig deep and get you a decent hand-me-down pocket digital camera with a good way about it so you aren't without. I'd happily give you mine, but I use it for work. :lol: Plus it's a bit quirky, likely due to the current owner.

8)

I know you're only joking mate about folk clubbing together for me, you're a sweet guy and aint no mistake about it but if anyone did have an old camera they don't use any longer I would very happily do something in return for them if they were to send it my way. There isn't a huge amount I could do but I can comfortably tart up a few estate pipes for them, something like that you know.

Rob said over on The Fellowship that something was being arranged for me, knowing Rob I knew he wasn't winding me up, I'm deeply moved chaps, this is really wonderful news, so sweet of you guys, thank you so much. :heart:

derrickyoung":4qli8gpu said:
it may be a slightly older model. :lol!:

I was thinking something more along the lines of this: :cheers:

old_ca10.jpg

Might take a while to upload the pics to your computer via USB port though... :lol:

:lol!:

Rob_In_MO":2n1iqcyv said:
derrickyoung":2n1iqcyv said:

Might take a while to upload the pics to your computer via USB port though... :lol:

Well he could always print them at the local photo mat and then take a picture using his digitial....Err never mind

derrickyoung":1mfi7slv said:
Well he could always print them at the local photo mat and then take a picture using his digitial....Err never mind
Crap, now somebody will have to send him a scanner so he can scan the photos once he gets them developed.

Better yet - somebody send him a developing kit with a supply of chemicals to go along with his camera. No sense in him having to pay to have the photos developed. :lol:

Kirk - get started on setting up a darkroom.

8)

derrickyoung":3ty804js said:

Oh yes, that's right up my alley, ultra portable too, it's like you really know me. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Now that's some funny shyte. :lol:

Of course I wasn't yankin' yer chain, Kirk. One thing I've learned about this lovely community of pipefolk we're both a part is we take care of each other when things come up or go down. You're a good lad, big heart, generous as all get-up, so I'm not surprised in the least. I wish I could have made it happen. Look at what these folks did for me and mine back when I was raising money for my better half.

If it weren't for these great people I have largely never met in person I'd be up sh*t creek in many, many ways.

We're family, whether you like it or not. I know, I had to accept this fact a few times, and it humbled the hell out of me. :cheers:

PS, just give that camera some work takin' pictures of your refurbs, tarted pipes, gifts and new projects, and I think you'll be paying it forward just as you always have.

8)

You know what Kyle, until I became a member here and on SF I figured the entire World was populated with cold hearted and viciously cruel people, I had all but buried my head in the sand counting the days to the big journey. I became friends with Jim (Jimbo on SF) and he kind of took me under his wing so to speak as I knew naff all about pipes as such, he even sent me a few sample of baccies he thought I might like, first time he did so I was shocked so much I didn't know quite what to make of it. When I came here and started making some friends I found myself in a situation I had never found myself in before, I found myself in the company of some folk who were genuinely very warm and caring toward me, then I got bombed with some baccy here and I have to tell you mate I found myself in tears when that happened. I'm more accustomed to folk who would sooner punch me in the face as smile at me, the kindness and friendship I have found here has changed me in more ways than I can say mate, I am actually starting to believe (aye, believe) that there really are good people in the World, BoB aint a website on the internet to me my friend, BoB is a place I can come to where I have some friends, that means more to me than words can ever tell.

Hey Kirk,
It's not too late to get one of these. They're cheap, sturdy, easy to find in the dark, and you can put rainbow borders around pics, or make everyone in a photo look like they're wearing wizard hats!

Harlock999":zp2yjirp said:
Hey Kirk,
It's not too late to get one of these. They're cheap, sturdy, easy to find in the dark, and you can put rainbow borders around pics, or make everyone in a photo look like they're wearing wizard hats!
Dang Harlock, I always wondered what you used to take those pics you're famous for. :p

:lol:

Harlock999":ue5dc9dg said:
Hey Kirk,
Hey, no fair, you're letting out all my secret fantasies.............. :oops:

Remember what the Klingon say when they are besmirched!!! :twisted:

Or from the British TV series Hyperdrive.... "Vengeance is a dish best served on a bed of rice" :lol!: