Dip Pens

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos

Administrator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Anyone here draw, sketch, write, or otherwise use dip pens? Any pointers. How often do you have to clean them? Just the act of dipping them load them with ink, or do you have to dip them a lot? What about blotting?

Wow!!! Another dip pen user! Good for you!!! I have several; love to write with them! Just dip, give it a gentle "flick of the wrist" to remove any excess ink, and write. It'll let you know when to re-dip it!! As you get used to the pen/nib, you'll develop a "dipping" routine (i.e., how many letters you get per nib full of ink, each nib being different). Now, I have never used any of the fancy glass dip pens; nor have I done any significant calligraphy. BTW, the late Civil War author, Shelby Foote, did all his manuscripts for his books with a dip pen. Never even used a typewriter; said the slower pace using the dip pen helped him think!! Enjoy!! FTRPLT

Well, I have several pens and a lot of nibs. Some ink and paper. But I have yet to pick one up. My intent was to move the spare computer to the hamshack. But the P5B Deluxe motherboard is giving me fits installing the latest Simply Mepis. Once that's done it frees up a desk for me to do some drawing/painting etc on. Then I guess I will wade in and experiment.

I had a great-uncle that did a lot of art. He used toothpicks dipped in ink for his drawings.