DIY 9mm Filter adapter

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Furgeson

Reaction score
I was playing around with the idea of getting an adapter for one of my 9mm filtered pipes when I hit on the idea of just making my own. I used a small section of 5/16" oak dowel that I bored a draft hole trough langthwise. I than chucked it into a 1/2" drill and sanded it to the proper diamiter to fit snugly into the stem and tennon. I made sure it was cut to the proper langth to allow the stem to seat properly and made sure it had a clear unobstructed draw before running a test bowl. I am happy to say it actually smokes better then before. More even draw, no gurggle, all in all nicer smoke. Just a little time some scrap dowel and you have a better smoking pipe.

Yea it worked so well I am going to try it on some more. Might even try it on a 6mm or two.

Does the pipe smoke better now than without a filter or adapter of any kind? I have yet to find a downside to just going without. I even think there may be a mild reverse-calabash effect in going without, but that could be my imagination.

It seems to have a smoother sip and longer lower burn time then with the filter or open did. Might be me. I still want to run a few more bowls in it to be sure.

Just a word of caution when using a wooden adapter. Be sure that it doesn't fit too snugly because it will begin to swell when it absorbs moisture. It could become stuck or swell to the point of cracking the tenon. :)

AJ

ajn27511":tgk0ry4t said:
Just a word of caution when using a wooden adapter. Be sure that it doesn't fit too snugly because it will begin to swell when it absorbs moisture. It could become stuck or swell to the point of cracking the tenon. :)

AJ
Which is why I use the plastic ones. They aren't that expensive and I keep extra's on hand in 9mm and 6mm size so if I acquire a pipe that needs one I have them on hand. Plus I save on the price of having a single adapter shipped. I haven't gotten a pipe that uses the 3mm size. I have a ton of the medico filters which I use in the cobs as we had them in the store and they sat around for 4 years.

ajn27511":b52pz4b9 said:

AJ
Thanks for the heads up. I did notice that it had swelled some when I cleaned the pipe after the third bowl. I sanded it down a little more and am giving it a few days rest befote trying it again. I actualy have some bone blanks the right size. I am thinking of trying one made of that.

eklektos44":8m3h9it1 said:
ajn27511":8m3h9it1 said:

AJ
Which is why I use the plastic ones. They aren't that expensive and I keep extra's on hand in 9mm and 6mm size so if I acquire a pipe that needs one I have them on hand. Plus I save on the price of having a single adapter shipped. I haven't gotten a pipe that uses the 3mm size. I have a ton of the medico filters which I use in the cobs as we had them in the store and they sat around for 4 years.
I know the plastic ones are really cheap and last forever. I just get alot satisfaction from puttering around and making little things like this just to show myself I can. That and I figure if I can make with what I have on hand I can save the money for the stuff I can't make.

Keep in mind that if the wood has swollen then it's taking moisture out of the smoke stream and switching to a non porous material could result in tongue burn.

Jim

huffelpuff":gjvu3p4u said:
Keep in mind that if the wood has swollen then it's taking moisture out of the smoke stream and switching to a non porous material could result in tongue burn.

Jim
Another good point. I guess there are a lot more angles to this then I had really thought about. I do know I don't care for most filters and have found I perfer non filtered pipes. Having said that I still have a few filtered pipes I bought over the years I really would like to continue to enjoy. I am trying to improve on the draw and thought this might be worth a try. I might just end up buying a few adapters after all.