DIY bite protectors

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter5117

Reaction score
Do many of you use bite protectors? I have adopted them for all my pipes the past few years. However, I have never been pleased with the quality of the rubber bites that I have purchased either at my local B&M or via the internet. Regardless of the brand or source, they only last a few months before they split and fall off.

For the past couple of days I have been thinking about using shrink-wrap tubing. I had a length of 1/2" shrink wrap so I cut off approximately a half inch of tubing and placed it over the end of the bit with barely 1/32" hanging over the end. A few seconds with the heat gun and the tubing shrank down to the size of the bit, and the little bit of overhang wrapped neatly around the end of the mouthpiece.

End result, I like it. It does not provide the sponginess of the soft rubber bites, but definitely enough to secure the pipe in my teeth. If I want a softer feel, I could always string a second layer over the first. My only worry is that the thin tubing may still transfer bite marks to the stem, I will have to keep an eye on that.

Pipe+bite1.jpg

Interesting, never thought of using heat-shrink tubing as a pipe protector. I am a ham radio operator and always playing with electronics in one form or another, so I always have that stuff on hand.

My only concern is what material the tubing is made from and how that will react to being in my mouth. I'm not a health-freak, but still would like to know more about it's chemical properties before I go into this much further.

No reason to think it wouldn't protect the stem though.

I bought some heat-shrink tubing for just this purpose at the best supply store in my city, the only place I could find the right size. After I got home, I noticed on the package that the tubing contained lead. I'm not a health paranoid, but I think I'll pass on using it for something I stick in my mouth.

I have checked every MSDS that I can find for heat shrink tubing and I can't find any that have any sort of ingestion precaution other than the normal CYA verbiage that everyone puts in when there is no specific danger but they want to make sure they are covered (drink water, see a physician, I know, I used to write MSDS's).

Anyway, there may be some out there, especially in colors, that may have some funky metals or something, but the plain black seems to be pretty safe. YMMV.

NOBLE shrink tube, 3/4", part no. 5527-2P, made by Noble Wire & Terminal, Springfield, OR 97478.

I find it odd shrink tubing, intended as an electricity isolation product, would contain lead, an electrically conductive element.

Perhaps it's in the roll-print paint used to stamp and mark the tubing?

I use this stuff all the time, and have ten different widths and thicknesses of it--yet, I'm not having a problem with my Softy Bits splitting. Hunter, you must really be a chomper!

8)

I have had some crack on the edge of the bit on very wide stems.I think that they crack with age. Or they are stretched a lot. I tend to bite through the rubber stems. The stamping on the shanks have been compromised when a replacement was fitted. :(

Hunter

How about putting shrink tubing over the softee bits to hold them on and still have the thick protection.

Lead, in the packaging? Hi Hi.

Hunter5117":c6v2xem0 said:
I have checked every MSDS that I can find for heat shrink tubing and I can't find any that have any sort of ingestion precaution other than the normal CYA verbiage that everyone puts in when there is no specific danger but they want to make sure they are covered (drink water, see a physician, I know, I used to write MSDS's).

Anyway, there may be some out there, especially in colors, that may have some funky metals or something, but the plain black seems to be pretty safe. YMMV.
I agree. Most are made of PVC. I think that they would be relatively safe in that application. Just don't smoke them or consume them in mass quantities.

Jeff...

I've been meaning to try the heat shrink thing for a while and today I went ahead and picked up a few packages of different width for about $4

Applied to all my regular rotation pipes and I'm smoking one right now. MUCH better than rubber bits to me. Tasteless so far and more comfortable.

I don't foresee any long term problems but I'd love to hear more from those that have used heat shrink for a while. Looks like the perfect solution to comfort vs. durability

Same here, Shane.

I prefer them over the rubber bits too, and have no problems to re re re re report. :mrgreen:

Seriously - from what I've looked at online, I'm in agreement with the above posts concerning them being relatively safe to use.