DIY Pipe stain

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Fox

Reaction score
Hey guys, can any of you recommend good sites for pipe stain or leather dye? I'm having trouble locating a B&M that sells in my area and I'm unimpressed with the selection on Amazon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When I was building muzzle loading rifles, I used potassium permanganate. Your druggist can get it for you. It really pops the grain. You can repeat to darken more. They are purple crystals that you dilute in water; it acts like aging when applied. Never tried it on briar but it worked on a lot of different woods.

Google for Feibing's Leather Dye - That's what's most commonly used, and they work really well. A couple of bottles will last you for years, maybe decades...

thanks. :D I forgot about Tandy Leather. That's by my parent's house. I'll check them out. Feibing's is what was on amazon. I was looking for a variety pack of colors to decided what stain to use.

TreverT":oj4miook said:
Google for Feibing's Leather Dye - That's what's most commonly used, and they work really well. A couple of bottles will last you for years, maybe decades...
I'll +1 this. Feibing's works great.

If possible try & buy old stock as the new formula is alcohol free to make it safe in schools & prisons. Can still be found & sometimes on for clearance prices. Just picked up 4 large bottles for 20 bucks apiece at Buckskin leather. In my opinion the older formula does alot better job and uses alot less product.

Hawker":rwspwjqt said:
If possible try & buy old stock as the new formula is alcohol free to make it safe in schools & prisons. Can still be found & sometimes on for clearance prices. Just picked up 4 large bottles for 20 bucks apiece at Buckskin leather. In my opinion the older formula does alot better job and uses alot less product.
That is interesting. Hadn't heard that. I did, however, notice that the last bottle of USMC Black that I got wasn't nearly as effective as it used to be, and was much lighter and thinner. I don't use black for much of my contrasts anymore so it wasn't a big deal, but I was wondering if I'd gotten a bad bottle.

TreverT":g11nbi7z said:
Hawker":g11nbi7z said:
That is interesting. Hadn't heard that. I did, however, notice that the last bottle of USMC Black that I got wasn't nearly as effective as it used to be, and was much lighter and thinner. I don't use black for much of my contrasts anymore so it wasn't a big deal, but I was wondering if I'd gotten a bad bottle.
Some are stains & some are dyes but with both i prefer the old stock especially when working with hardwoods & leather.

Thanks guys, it means a lot to me. Any other advice on refinishing a pipe? I'm having a hard time deciding what color or colors to use. I'm bored with the browns, blacks, yellows, oranges and rustic/sandblast finishes. I want something that pops! Kinda like a black tiger's eye gemstone.