diy tobacco plug

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitobi

Reaction score
hi all

well as I'm a tinkerer I though id have a play at making my own plug tobacco, the idea was I'm adding flavour but that flavour never really distributes evenly and consistently so I looked for a way to fix that.

I can along a device called a pollen press used by other smokers who smoke "other herbal" additives and though I could use the same to make plug tobacco.

so I ordered the 5" version and put some tobacco inside and compressed it for 1 day. its a simple design of a tube with threads at both end, and a screw plunger that will compress anything inside. so far after 1 day it has produced a really good dry plug with some residual tobacco oils physically crushed out of the tobacco.
I used some general macbaren vanilla tobacco as the base and added a mint/choc flavour last year, its been a consistant good smoke since but ill see now if the flavour profile has changed now its been really compacted together

58926528.jpg

Cheers,

RR

lol, well just crumbled the small piece that fell off and went outside for a smoke.

the flavor was certainly consistent throughout, some of the oils had risen to the surface making the tobacco sticky to the touch, but it took a light easily and no relights were needed.

slightly rushed as it was damn chilly outside and the floor was like ice, but all in all it was a very enjoyable experience, no bite and no residue left behind.

gonna try a different flavour combo, compress for 2 days and see how it comes out

happy days :)

*** Disclaimer ***
Although Kitobi lives in Plymouth, his actions are in no way indicative of other pipe smokers who live in the area  :twisted:  :twisted:

What’s next ? Chocolate Escudo or Cherry Stonehaven  :affraid:

Adam

Nice press! Hey, if it works for you, press on! You could maybe make your own Perique?

alandadp":zj2txm8l said:
What’s next ? Chocolate Escudo or Cherry Stonehaven  :affraid:

Adam
ooh good ideas, thanks for that lol

thank you wizard, seems to be working well, I have now pressed another 25g and added a honey and maple dressing to it. see how it goes, its been in the press for 24 hrs and ill remove it tomorrow.

ill look at perique as the press is solid aluminium it can also got into a oven to heat up if needed

I for one am glad you're enjoying your experiments. It sounds like you have things well in hand. Press on and happy smokes.

Hmmmm chocolate Escudo? Now where did I put that open tin?

thank you huffelpuff

yes the honey/maple turned out really well, its sat resting in a glass jar and ill try it tomorrow as I have a day to myself, the press comes out really hard and compacted, but quite easily breaks apart with a bit of effort.

cheers

andy