Do brands really matter?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
i am the proud owner of a kaywoodie and a czech pipe and i find both of these "lower end" pipes are fabulous smokes. I have heard of petersons and savanelli that don't smoke as good as these. Any opinions on how cost is irrelivant as to the quality of the smoking experience?

Side note,
I am adoping any unwanted peterson, savanelli or dunhill. Drop me a note and i will discuss it with you. :king:

I have heard of petersons and savanelli that don't smoke as good as these.
I'm curious to know where it is you heard of these Petersons and Savinellis and how you know they don't smoke as well as your Kaywoodie and Czech pipes. :D

This argument is brought up all the time. I think you should smoke what you like and like what you smoke.

If all you want is a great smoke, cobs will do the trick. If you like a little luxury along with your smoke, you can spend a little more money and get a "better" pipe. Will the smoke be better? Not necessarily, but the smoking experience might be. :D

Rad

cost doesn't count,,,proper engineering is the thing. if the pipe is drilled right chances are it will smoke well. cost comes into play with better fit and finish, grain, and amount of "hands on" time to produce the pipe. if you're happy with the way your low end pipes smoke that's all that matters. every pipe manufacturer has a hiccup now and then and a marginal pipe slips through, but smoking quality is a subjective thing at best. I've got a $10 basket pipe that smokes like a champ but if you want more than a fraized pipe you start paying for what you get.

Rad Davis":01crxwdo said:
you can spend a little more money and get a "better" pipe. Will the smoke be better? Not necessarily, but the smoking experience might be.
That's it. It's all right there in a nutshell.

In my very limited experience so far I've got to agree with Mark. Currently I have a lower end Savinelli (University) a Stanwell Colonial, an MM cob and a no name basket pipe.

The Stanwell is probably my favorite. It really doesn't smoke any better than the cob or the basket pipe, I just love the way it looks and feels. The basket rhodesian would be my next favorite, mostly because of the shape and it has some beautiful grain for such a cheap ($25) pipe. Next would in all honesty be the cob. MM's just smoke really well and it's one I can pull out and smoke when mowing the lawn or working on the car and not worry about dropping it and ruining a high dollar pipe.

The $50 Savinelli is probably my least favorite. It smokes as well as the others do but it's something of a pain in the rear either using filters or the adapter and the added cleaning and hassle that these involve. It also has some rather glaring fills on the bowl that just kinda annoy me. That said, it's a great smoker for me for english blends and until I can get another pipe or two to replace it it'll stay in rotation whenever I feel the need for that wonderful Lat fix.

I'm a big fan of a lot of the "mid-range" pipe makers out there though and still plan on expanding into Petersons, possibly another Stanwell or two and at some point a Nording.

Lot's of variety out there in all ranges. As long as you're happy with your pipes, then what you spent really doesn't matter.

I have some modestly priced British pipes that I love to smoke. I just bought an did a refurbish on a Doctor Grabow Regal bulldog that cost me $10 delivered. The $10 Grabow smokes pretty close to my much more expensive Brits. In fact when I smoke it, it tickles me to death is such a nice little pipe for a measly ten bucks. But, when I smoke and hold the Brits, the overall experience is heightened because I'm so fond of those pipes. Pipes are all about personal preference, smoke what you can afford and what puts a smile on your face.