Do different pipes affect taste?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I can see I have a lot to learn. I don't ever do the deep clean with everclear. Not sure I know how. You don't happen to have a YouTube on that do you? :) I know one thing for certain, the Savi Bumble Bee that you restored for me was pristine when I got it back. Back to the drawing board for me.

zonomo, are you speaking to me about that Sav as I don't remember ever having done a restoration on a pipe for anyone.

Everclear is the best at getting the gunk out of your shank and stems. What I like about it specifically is that is drinkable as I will not clean my pipe with anything that is not drinkable.

I also go through a few shank brushes on my deep cleanings. There may be a you tube video somewhere out there but I have never made one.

When I am doing my deep cleanings I am usually watching my two sons do them as I taught them both at an early age how to properly clean a pipe with Everclear and shank brushes as I hate doing it so I make them do it. In fact my youngest son is going to be cleaning ten pipes this weekend for me as my oldest is in California looking to make his way out there after he graduated college. I will have to begin cleaning my own again as I cannot expect my youngest son to do all the work.

cigrmaster":9z9wnknf said:
zonomo, are you speaking to me about that Sav as I don't remember ever having done a restoration on a pipe for anyone.
Well, now that I am 50, I get incredibly confused incredibly easy.  :geek: 

Did I ever sell you a Savinelli? If I did then the pipe would have been pristine as I would have had my youngest son do the work as he is a little better than the older one.

I have sold a few Savs in the last year as one(Hercules model) went to Eaglerico from PM, another went to Samcoffeeman( an Autograph) from PM and not sure who got the other one. Did it have a cumberland stem?

cigrmaster":tlnaxh2r said:
Did I ever sell you a Savinelli? If I did then the pipe would have been pristine as I would have had my youngest son do the work as he is a little better than the older one.

I have sold a few Savs in the last year as one(Hercules model) went to Eaglerico from PM, another went to Samcoffeeman( an Autograph) from PM and not sure who got the other one. Did it have a cumberland stem?
nope. i was just a little confused.

cigrmaster":3aepuiw1 said:
".... I will have to begin cleaning my own again as I cannot expect my youngest son to do all the work."
What do you think families are for, distribution of labor  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 

monbla256":ilhs77y8 said:
cigrmaster":ilhs77y8 said:
".... I will have to begin cleaning my own again as I cannot expect my youngest son to do all the work."
What do you think families are for, distribution of labor  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 
I think we're on to something here. I need to teach my 7 y/o step son the finer points of pipe cleaning. Actually, we does love it when we spend time together doing dude stuff. :)

This might be hard to believe but my wife insists on helping me, cleaning my pipes  :D  She buys my tobaccos when she's at the mall, knows exactly what I smoke. The guys at the tobacco shop is almost in love with her, says she's the only woman they know who cares so much about her hubby.

SpeedyPete":teddgbo0 said:
This might be hard to believe but my wife insists on helping me, cleaning my pipes  :D   She buys my tobaccos when she's at the mall, knows exactly what I smoke. The guys at the tobacco shop is almost in love with her, says she's the only woman they know who cares so much about her hubby.
wow! Wife of the Year!  :santa: 

zonomo":cq69oao0 said:
SpeedyPete":cq69oao0 said:
This might be hard to believe but my wife insists on helping me, cleaning my pipes  :D   She buys my tobaccos when she's at the mall, knows exactly what I smoke. The guys at the tobacco shop is almost in love with her, says she's the only woman they know who cares so much about her hubby.
wow!  Wife of the Year!    :santa: 
Ya, you got a keeper there SP!

:cheers: 

Cheers,

RR

SpeedyPete":40zfjk5u said:
Is she the one who keeps buying you Plumcake?

Fr_Tom":yx2ac5vq said:
SpeedyPete":yx2ac5vq said:
Is she the one who keeps buying you Plumcake?
No, I bought the Plumcake in a moment of weakness  :evil: 

rothnh":bpdeg10t said:
Hell, I read most of Mr. Pease's articles and all of his posts that I find.  I enjoy his writing and I respect his vast knowledge of everything pipes and tobacco.  I didn't quote him -- I just wanted to point out that IMHO, what works best for one puffer may not work nearly as well for someone else.  It saddens me that Greg quoted my post and took it personally.  FWIW, Grandpa, I totally agree with your take on preferences.
You didn't quote Mr. Pease, but your comment labeling all "experts" as shills for their own products immediately followed a contribution from just such an expert and I think it's fairly easy to see why he was offended.

I used to shop at JR regularly when I started smoking, and those attractive Mac Baren tins called my name on any one occasion, Plumcake one of them. Like Symphony, I gave it a good try and threw it over after a half-dozen bowls. I think I could more sense of it now but with so many excellent other tobaccos calling, I don't bite.

But the name, "Plumcake"; plums are tasty, and we all know about cake. Sounds delectable!

4noggins.com_Mike":1j08cx1i said:
I used to shop at JR regularly when I started smoking, and those attractive Mac Baren tins called my name on any one occasion, Plumcake one of them. Like Symphony, I gave it a good try and threw it over after a half-dozen bowls. I think I could more sense of it now but with so many excellent other tobaccos calling, I don't bite.

But the name, "Plumcake"; plums are tasty, and we all know about cake. Sounds delectable!
Well, I'm pretty, 100% sure this was my last pouch of MB Bitecake.

Btw, I'm busy working on a nice little order from you for the new year. This year was pipe buying year. For next year I plan to build a nice stock of tobacco. First of all I want some pure virginias and blending perique to create my own vapers. I'm craving vapers like mad and it's not available in SA.

SpeedyPete":qdcdkc9r said:
4noggins.com_Mike":qdcdkc9r said:

Well, I'm pretty, 100% sure this was my last pouch of MB Bitecake.

Btw, I'm busy working on a nice little order from you for the new year.  This year was pipe buying year.  For next year I plan to build a nice stock of tobacco.  First of all I want some pure virginias and blending perique to create my own vapers.  I'm craving vapers like mad and it's not available in SA.
Remember, MvB's true name is McBITE   :twisted:  Always was, Always will be  :twisted: :twisted:

I'm not really into aromatic tobaccos anymore, used to smoke a lot of it while I was a "kid". But I do like a bit of sweetness, other than what I get from my VA's, from time to time.

To still this hunger, I go to Mac Baren's Seven Seas Regular Blend. It's the only MB that does not bite me. A 40g pouch (why not 50g like all the other manufacturers?) lasts me about 2 months.

SpeedyPete":pnt83t74 said:
To still this hunger, I go to Mac Baren's Seven Seas Regular Blend.  It's the only MB that does not bite me.  A 40g pouch (why not 50g like all the other manufacturers?) lasts me about 2 months.
I have 2 tins of 7 Seas but haven't cracked them yet. I bought a ton of tobaccos in early 2013 that I havent even tried yet. I am hoping its good stuff though. Right now, I am thoroughly enjoying my Sutliff tobaccos.  :santa: