Do it yourself pipe restoration question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutshot

Reaction score
I picked up an estate pipe this week that is in need of resoration, the bit is in good condition other than the fact that it is oxidized but the rim is charred pretty bad and it has a couple of dings on the side of the bowl. I am more than likely going to send it off but was wondering if anyone on the board has ever tried a "do it yourself" restoration. My main question is... how would you begin to clean the charring from the rim of a pipe without damaging the briar? Thanks in advance for your responses, your input is greatly appreciated!

It sort of depends on the condition of the pipe. It is conceivable that you CAN'T restore it without damaging the briar. If the briar is burned, you will have to sand it out. The ordinary blackened rim stuff polishes off pretty easy with a bit of tripoli on a buff, or a toothbrush and some saliva.

How valuable is the pipe? Best idea might be to buy a 5 dollar scorched up piece of crap on ebay and play with that.

I'd go out and buy a few tools, fine fine grit paper, some polish, some drill bits sized to common pipe diameters. When i got all that assembled I'd sit down with my pipe, box it up, and send it to LL before I screwed it up.

regarding the dings - I know that furniture makers take dings out by putting a bit of water in the ding (not scratch, but dent) - just enough water to fill the indentation level, not overfilled - then touch the water with a heated pin or nail (just the water) - which will burst into steam and remove some of the dent - repeat until gone

that having been said, I would likely send it out myself if it were a nice name brand pipe, of if the charring were severe

I have 3 estates that I was considering workin on myself, but decided I like them too much to risk it and will be mailing away to LL for fixin' up. None are exactly high dollar pipes, but I would definately be bummed if I damaged them through ignorance or carelessness so I decided the cost is a relatively small price to pay for someone with the experience, skills and knowledge to do it right.

IMHO
I recently went to a flea market. There I picked up several Yellow Bole straight stem pipes, a couple Grabows, 3 Kaywoodies, and 2 that won't reveal their identity! I am Playing with them. Getting all the gunk out of them, reaming them and removing the stingers, Doing the Professor's sweetening treatment on them, buffing the small scratches and teeth marks off the stems. I'm Having a ball.

But if I had any that were worth a nickel. Off to LL they would go. :D :) :lol: