Do Older GL Pease Tins Rust?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordies

Reaction score
I read a warning about this somewhere, yet have never observed this problem. Has anyone? If so, what type of tin was it, date, etc.. I'm assuming the "older" tins are the ones that are 3.5" tall with a 3" diameter.

I'd be quite peeved to discover that I've had a bunch of rusting tins sitting on my shelf this whole time.

Thanks,

J

Any steel or tin packaging can rust. But there is not a widespread problem with any one manufacturer. We pipe smokers tend to trade and sell so many blends in short supply, that it's impossible to know the storage history of a tin you may acquire. Best thing to do is examine all your tins from time to time. Look for little blisters on the bottoms. See if a toothpick will punch though with little pressure. Watch the Dunhill style tins of all manufacturers for rust around the seal area. Closely examine all square and rectangular tins for poor sealing lids. Simply be vigilant. You can weigh your tins and sort out those that seem a bit light to smoke sooner. There is no need to avoid any one particular blend, or manufacturers product, because of the possibility of rust.

Carlos..... thanks, interesting info.
how would you check for broken seals on square tins that you mentioned. I dropped a new tin of Pete Uni flake on the garage floor yesterday when it fell out the TAD bag while getting out of the car. None the less I am a little concerned about it. Besides a small dent on the side all seems to look ok. For one I cannot smell any leaking va and tugging at the lid revealed it to be sitting tight. I can imagine it takes a small crack in a seal to spoil it's cellar worth.
Thanks

On my square and rectangular tins, I just carefully use a little thumb pressure to see if it will open, Certainly not enough to pop a normal tin. But I have had well packaged Penzance open with no more effort than a tin I knew was open. I don't want them to dry out on the shelf.

I don't resale my tins, so I have no worries about destroying some supposed eBay value. If I suspect a tin of anything may be compromised, it gets jarred.

Jordies":iru0cexu said:
I'm assuming the "older" tins are the ones that are 3.5" tall with a 3" diameter.
Yes, I found that those particular tins do rust rapidly. I had most of my original Haddo's Delight and Renaissance starting to rust, mostly from the inside. Dates ranged from 2000 to 2004 or thereabouts. Similar tins of Captain Earle had the same issues. Check your stash carefully.

Wet Dottle":iyti0e3c said:
Jordies":iyti0e3c said:
I'm assuming the "older" tins are the ones that are 3.5" tall with a 3" diameter.
Yes, I found that those particular tins do rust rapidly. I had most of my original Haddo's Delight and Renaissance starting to rust, mostly from the inside. Dates ranged from 2000 to 2004 or thereabouts. Similar tins of Captain Earle had the same issues. Check your stash carefully.
I recently invested a decent amount of cash in some aged tins of Renaissance from 2002-04 and a single tin of Bohemian Scandal, only to discover that most had small areas of rust that had compromised the seals and pretty much destroyed the contents. Not only will I now never be able to taste BS, but I wound up losing a lot of cash. I did, however, learn a valuable lesson -- never again will I buy used tobacco from an online source, no matter how reputable, as I could have detected these flaws had I been able to closely inspect them.

jj1015":4mrhfo1e said:
Wet Dottle":4mrhfo1e said:
Jordies":4mrhfo1e said:
I recently invested a decent amount of cash in some aged tins of Renaissance from 2002-04 and a single tin of Bohemian Scandal, only to discover that most had small areas of rust that had compromised the seals and pretty much destroyed the contents. Not only will I now never be able to taste BS, but I wound up losing a lot of cash. I did, however, learn a valuable lesson -- never again will I buy used tobacco from an online source, no matter how reputable, as I could have detected these flaws had I been able to closely inspect them.
JJ sorry to hear friend..... that must be most frustrating indeed!

Before I read this thread I thought that my tins were safe except those that showed rust. Now I suspect all of them! Do you see what you have done?

Personally I would take all of the old tins and open them up to examine the contents. I have had tins that looked ok but were not once opened. Ball jars work great to store the tobacco in. It worked for me :x

Soooo, I decided to go ahead and pop open one tin of Cumberland, and one of Renaissance. The Cumberland is from 2002, and the Renaissance is from 2004. I'll start out by saying that 50% of this experience was highly pleasurable, the other 50 not so much. I presume that you mathematicians out there can see where this is going.

I first opened the Renaissance, and here are the pictures.

The tin was still in great shape. The moisture content was perfect, and not even a hint of rust. Upon opening, the delightful suction noise that we all know and love was readily heard.

Before removing the paper label from the Cumberland tin, it looked fine. When I opened the Cumberland, there was absolutely no noise to indicate a pressure differential whatsoever. Bad sign. As you've probably guessed, the tobacco was bone ass dry. So I dumped the lot of it in a bowl, where it is now rehydrating. The inside of the tin was speckled with rust, expecially along the seam. When I removed the paper label, it was easy to correlate specks of rust from the inside to the outside of the tin. I was able to poke a hole through the tin with a toothpick..... Here are the pictures.

So there ya have it.

Jordies,

As much as that Cumberland tin makes me wince, the picture of the Renaissance is mouthwatering - the colors of that mixture are just beautiful, aren't they? Good luck with the re-hydration operation for the former. A while back I opened a tin of Cairo with the exact same internal rust problem, so I certainly do feel your pain!