Do you have 80 friends?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We did this to an old neighbor's garage (moved it about 30 yards straight back, to make his driveway longer).

There were probably 25 of us...wasn't too bad, an he bought the beer.

That makes me wonder, what kind of construction allows a house to be moved like this?

Here in this part of the world you put foundations, reinforced concrete, you need a bulldozer and a whole day just to demolish it.

Sometimes I don't get the american style of doing things. I mean WTF? srsly, WTF? Stronger wind and you chase your house down the alley?

balkan_boy":jr8h4vmo said:
That makes me wonder, what kind of construction allows a house to be moved like this?

Here in this part of the world you put foundations, reinforced concrete, you need a bulldozer and a whole day just to demolish it.

Sometimes I don't get the american style of doing things. I mean WTF?  srsly, WTF? Stronger wind and you chase your house down the alley?
Standard wood frame construction on a concrete slab (if there is no basement).

If there is a basement the basement walls are either poured concrete or more commonly concrete blocks.

In either case the house is constructed with wooden framing and attached to the concrete slab or basement with various types of specialized nails/screws.

So, you break those off and you can quite literally lift the wooden framed house up off the concrete slab foundation and move it. It is very heavy though.

In case your friends are too busy, or you don't have that many, hire a professional.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VmVIKKjj0HE" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>
If you chose this option, then the real hard part is paying the bill.

balkan_boy":ozv5dijh said:

Sometimes I don't get the american style of doing things. I mean WTF?  srsly, WTF? Stronger wind and you chase your house down the alley?
Actually, only a better-built house can be moved successfully.  A poorly built stick house usually falls apart when you try to move it.  Mobile homes are the exception but they are designed to be moved...at least once! :mrgreen:

Actually that makes sense.

If the house is all wooden, then there's no point of footing foundations.

Here the wooden cottages are made that way also.

But now there's another question. Why would anybody build their house entirely out of wood? It doesn't last, unlike brick and concrete house that can go on 200 years without repair, it's easier to set it on fire, and needs more maintenance.

The only upside of the whole wood thing is that it's cheaper, and you get heat insulation naturally.

I love brick, stone and stucco houses but they are designed to stay put.  That doesn't mean they are not built well. I probably should have said only a certain type of home can be moved (small, frame houses).
Usually moving the dwelling is not worth the cost... Unless you have 80 friends!

A tornado came through the community I work in in the year 2000...I had to do a preliminary accessment of damage for FEMA;.. I got called a day later that the tornado had lifted and moved 2 houses a couple of inches off there foundations.. the damage wasnt even noticed immediately..