do you like Kombucha?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

Reaction score
elsewhere, arose this topic, Kombucha, and I remembered putting it here

my "cellar" of Kombucha I regularly drinking most old

this is my "laboratory", I produce about 4 liters per week, about 15 days I´m bottling the production

here is a "scooby" more in detail

pics are not good, but you have a idea of  Kombucha I have and produce artisan

Kombucha is a natural fermentation of the tea by a fungus, known in Spain as "Scooby" is a very refreshing drink, it has to drink cold, frothy and rich

I long time that I do by hand at home, and I really enjoy drinking it cold in the months of much heat, which in the Balearic Islands are many

if you use different teas, the results are different, the most appropriate are black and green

I would be shocked if anyone else knew what it was.
It is a very small market in the United States. It swept into the ever churning market of health drinks and was just as quickly replaced by another tea or berry mix.

I've heard of it now. I'm surprised that it's not more popular in the U.S. The name alone would seem musical to the more-esoteric-than-thou crowd.

taharris":md1zmc18 said:
I have never heard of it, but it looks very interesting.

Is it alcoholic?

Todd
There's a little alcohol, maybe only 3%. I pretty much can guarantee you won't want to drink enough to get a buzz. I drink a small glass every day. Tastes mainly like mild apple cider vinegar. Keep 2 "scobys" (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast) (also referred to as a kombucha mama) brewing all the time.

I've never heard of this before reading your post. Not sure I want any if it tastes like mild cider vinegar. :)

AJ

Immediate Update: Just asked my Sister, who lives with us, if she had ever heard of this stuff. She went to the refrigerator in her room and came back with a bottle of Kombucha Gingerade. I tasted it and it wasn't bad at all. Actually the after taste is rather good. It's supposed to a very healthy drink. Who could have guessed? :)

AJ

:p :p :cheers: :cheers:

you see, the world gives us surprises every day, some very good

ktgivens":e2os4lh7 said:
taharris":e2os4lh7 said:

Is it alcoholic?

Todd
There's a little alcohol, maybe only 3%. I pretty much can guarantee you won't want to drink enough to get a buzz. I drink a small glass every day. Tastes mainly like mild apple cider vinegar. Keep 2 "scobys" (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast) (also referred to as a kombucha mama) brewing all the time.
well, you can be found around 0.3 to 1% alcohol, but naturally by fermentation of bacteria, including many breads and natural juices contain it, I do not consider an alcoholic beverage

Right.. it is non-alcoholic but it does sometimes create alcohol. I can't remember the exact brand, or perhaps label within a brand, that got in trouble sometime back because their drink had too much alcohol in it. If it were intended as an alcoholic drink I can't imagine having too much alcohol would be an issue.

Gus":ww66k9o1 said:
ktgivens":ww66k9o1 said:
taharris":ww66k9o1 said:

Is it alcoholic?

Todd
well, you can be found around 0.3 to 1% alcohol, but naturally by fermentation of bacteria, including many breads and natural juices
contain it, I do not consider an alcoholic beverage
If you make it yourself rather than buy it in a health food store it will contain alcohol. You brew a pot of tea, put in 1cup of sugar and when it cools you introduce the scoby. The scoby contains yeast which converts the sugar to , among other things, alcohol (just like brewing beer or wine). The bacteria in the scoby creates more bacteria for your gut health.

It's something of an acquired taste in this country, kind of like kimchi. Most folks here have heard of it but neither is very popular. My local market has a rather large selection of it surprisingly. I find it to be rather refreshing but due to the meds I take I won't drink it anymore. To high of a risk unfortunately.

Nice setup you've got going there I imagine the homemade stuff must be much better and more interesting than what you can buy.

Jim