Do you love your pipes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsKot

Reaction score
No, not like naming them and dressing them up!! Though maybe a playdate with their favorite tobaccos is encouraged, hah. But in all seriousness would you say you love your pipes? I, for one, certainly do. They're the ones I constantly gravitate to when I smoke, I really do have a bond with them. Much like welcoming a pet as part as the family -- That's how I see some of my pipes. Of course, there's no pipe I own that I dislike, or else I simply wouldn't own them, but then they're the ones that sing out!

Oddly enough they tend to be what some would simply dub "a regular old pipe," there's nothing special about them at first glance, but pack 'em and light 'em up and it's a whole different story! I have a hunch that many of us are like this and have a soft spot in our hearts and pipe racks for the beauties that only we have eyes for! Just curious but how many others here are like this too? Also this might be an apt time to point out the quote in my signature, it really rings true!

P.S. maybe I'll share some photos with some of my beauties if I got off my ass and snapped some photos, I encourage others to do the same!

I didn't realized I loved it until it was gone..... My little woodstock is off being fixed. I look forward to the phone call telling me its back in chicago and ready for a stuff and puff.

I love my wife.

The pipes - well, sometimes they seem to love me, but nevertheless - I still have to pay them.

Kind regards
Thilo

Your signature is a cool one, pancake man. :)

Most of my pipes are artwork with a story. My Grabow (that I hardly smoke anymore) from the late, great Lloyd, my "pipe father." My Kirk Bosi I broke in and dedicated to my goldfish when he died (don't laugh, that fish was effing cool as hell). My sitter Nording that was my first new pipe. My leather covered bulldog that belonged to a friend of a friend that passed on--it was important to her I have it. My cob Diplomat that's been my outdoors work buddy for a few months now.

They're getting to the point where they are representing not only my participation in the hobby but the milestones of life they represent to me. They are not all equal. I grab some more because I'm feeling melancholy that day, or one might brighten my mood because of how it catches the sun. Then there's the practical applications, like how the pipe treats a type of tobacco, how well it travels and how warm will it keep my hand when lit. :lol:

All of these things in mind actually make it easy to keep and collect, but sometimes tough to select which one will spend the day with you--not the worst decision making process in the world. Yet it always seems to be the right choice once you begin the ritual...

8)

Yes, absolutely! Kyle elaborated best, I think, so there's no need to say much more!

I do have to say, though, that a little estate Sasieni 4Dot that I picked up is quickly becoming a favorite. It does things to VA tobaccos that none of my other pipes do, and I don't think I could ever tire of the incredible feeling I get when I pick up a pipe that's seen so much history pass by.

My first custom-built will always be near and dear to me, though. Specifically made for me, to my requests and specifications, detailed down to every last nook and cranny just the way I wanted it. Fits like a glove!

Aye, forgot to mention the history part of certain pipes too--good call. 8) I love speculating at who, what and when certain pipes were used. Sometimes I'll get a quick whiff of what I think might have been the original owner's choice of tobacco in the bowl, just a slight ghost of the past--I enjoy that. 8)

Pipes are like women to me:

Some may come and some may go,
But the ones you love you'll always know.

Don't know if I would use the word love to describe what I feel about my pipes. I tend to reserve that word for living biengs, not inanimant objects. I would say that I have varying degrees of appreciation and fondness for certain pipes over others. Some represent events, or phases of my life associated with the time frame they were bought in for sure. But "love" them, in the sense I associate with that word, no. :p

In the beginning of my pipe smoking days I used to pay much more attention to pipes than I do now. I used to care about makers, shapes, finishes, and buying a pipe involved careful and methodical search with a clinical eye. It was a pleasure to receive a new pipe and I treated each one almost as a personified entity. But my attitude towards pipe smoking has changed and the focus shifted from the pipes to the tobacco. I don't remember buying half of the pipes I have now. Don't get me wrong, they are all excellent smokers, it's just that I don't pay much attention to them anymore. All my efforts in this hobby go to finding the right tobacco, to nurturing it to optimum conditions, and to coaxing the best flavors out of it.

Remind me never to buy pipes from any of youz guys. Ain't no amount of sterilization gonna get em clean enough...........

Yes, I love my pipes. I can own as many as I want and they don't get mad at me. I can smoke my best friend's pipe and they don't get mad either. They don't care if I fart while smoking them. If I get tired of one, I can sell it without hiring a lawyer. Best of all, my pipes look just as good as the pipes in pipe magazines.

monbla256":hl4kn1ma said:
Don't know if I would use the word love to describe what I feel about my pipes. I tend to reserve that word for living biengs, not inanimant objects. I would say that I have varying degrees of appreciation and fondness for certain pipes over others. Some represent events, or phases of my life associated with the time frame they were bought in for sure. But "love" them, in the sense I associate with that word, no. :p
My sentiments exactly. Well said.

Jeff...

Yes, I love my pipes! I love them for all the wonderful smokes they have provided and I love them for all the wonderful people they have enabled me to meet and become friends with. I love the accompaniment they have provided me on long car rides, camping trips, and lazy summer days up at the community pool. I love the comfort they have provided me on lonely nights when the only real friends I had in the world was a glass of whiskey, a pipe, and a Sinatra album. Finally, I love them for their rich history and the craftsmanship that went into making them. I love feeling a part of an old world tradition and especially with old estate pipes, I love the feeling that I am carrying on the enjoyment of something that someone else cherished and enjoyed 30, 40, 50, 60 years ago. So yeah, I love my pipes!

-Scott

I thought it was a given that everyone loved their pipes.LOL.

I have to echo some of the things Kyle said some of my pipes mark mildstones in my life and remind me of specific events and thus they are special to me. I have a Peterson that is special to me as it was my first mid range priced pipe (Read as pipe over $20). I have a Stanwell that I bought in Denmark that I love . There are some pipes I perfer over others but all and all as a collection I would say that i do "love" them.