Do you read music or just listen?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2kotK9FNEYU" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What a difference a robot makes

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Z7VJMGy3P4w" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As a professional Musician I read music. Nice Videos!

great video's

I read music, but dislike doing it. You end up concentrating on just the notes instead of putting emotion into it. :pale:

I still remember, how I learned the sight reading when I was young. It´s essential, and working as a musician is nearly unthinkable without the ability to read music.

But when I´m working with an ensemble, it´s of course always fundamental to go deeper into music than the score can.

I´m also into improvised music and freejazz and enjoy music as a mode of communication. I think the transcription of Coltranes play doesn´t capture its esprit and genius.

There's a cool story about a music journalist handing Coltrane a note for note transcription of his solo on BlueTrain. Coltrane looked at the dense notation on the page and smiled, recognizing his work. The journalist asked him if he could play it, and he said "no, it's too difficult".

Harlock999":m0evgubu said:
There's a cool story about a music journalist handing Coltrane a note for note transcription of his solo on BlueTrain. Coltrane looked at the dense notation on the page and smiled, recognizing his work. The journalist asked him if he could play it, and he said "no, it's too difficult".
LOL. Good story....

Yes - great story! And it perfectly hits the point.

Thanks
Thilo

I can read both bass and treble clef, but being that I am a drummer :p it takes me a awhile, and need a pencil haha

______

How do you confuse a drummer?

Put a piece of music in front of him!

Do not know how many times I heard that one. Hardy har har

Read, listen to, and play music. Learned piano starting age 5, took up the tenor sax in 4th grade, the tuba in Jr Hi, the guitar (bass and 6 str) in HS, and later the flute, mandolin, and several others I'm probably forgetting right now.

Studied at the Wisconsin College Conservatory '70 - '72 (now called the Wisconsin Conservatory of Music) with a major in Classical and Flamenco. Also taught private lessons for 13 years (all styles).

I feel reading music and understanding theory is fundamental.

Harlock999":nkpdskk8 said:
Great story! Super picture! I didn't know Coltrane smoked a pipe.