Do you Smoke when you're Sick?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Churchwarden

Reaction score
Right now I'm sick with a bad case of the flu, i.e., can't breathe, soar throat, aches, etc. I work but I don't smoke a pipe because I can't smell or taste anything. Anybody else have thoughts? :(

No. Flu kept me in bed for almost two days. Sinus infection, also no. Last bad one of those and I didn't smoke for over two weeks. Then it didn't taste right for nearly a month after. But then, neither did coffee.

Had a nasty bug for the last week or so that I'm just now getting over. Started out with a cold and ended up with a sinus infection & a wee bit of pneumonia. I don't smoke when I'm sick so I haven't had a pipe for many days :cry:

When I used to smoke cigarettes I would still smoke e'm even when I was sick. Not the pipe though. It hardly seems worth it when I can't smell or taste anything.

Only if my temperature gets above 700 degrees.

I have to avoid all sorts of smoke when I'm sick, because it only aggravates a sore throat more. Also, if I can't enjoy the taste of the 'baccy, I'd rather not smoke. That said, if it makes ya feel better (mentally), go for it. :)

Same here for me. No smokes when I'm ill and cannot enjoy the taste of tobacco. I did find that as I recovered and resumed smoking with still slightly clogged sinuses, the pipe smoke from an oom paul wafting up into them dried them right up.

Sometimes I do but usually with a stronger English so I get a little taste

Never have. Usually when I get sick it comes on with a vengeance and I barely feel good enough to get out of bed for a drink of water, much less to load and light a pipe.

I found that the pipe was beneficial when I was already on the mend. I could, by that point of my recovery, taste the tobacco. I smoked Sterling's American Patriot which is a fairly robust English blend. It cleared the sinuses and shall we say with "medicinal" value beyond what Robitussin does. No doubt the shot of scotch along with it worked wonders. I was thankful that my bottle of Pinch did not have an expiration date like the Robitussin. I would toss the tussin but never the Pinch.

Smoking when I'm sick always aggravates things (assuming its a sinus/chest/throat sorta thing). I pretty much have to abstain, entirely, until I'm back in good health.

On the bright side, that first bowl after a few days (or more) away always tastes better than usual.

Churchwarden":bvjoqgrc said:
Right now I'm sick with a bad case of the flu, i.e., can't breathe, soar throat, aches, etc. I work but I don't smoke a pipe because I can't smell or taste anything. Anybody else have thoughts? :(
I'm with you on that one. I smoke because it's pleasurable. When I'm sick, it's not pleasurable. But that first bowl after a few days or weeks of being sick, sure does taste great!

I'm off of work on Wednesdays, so after a good night's sleep tonight, hopefully I'll be ready to go tomorrow! It's going to be sunny and in the mid 50's, which is a record for the Milwaukee area at this time of year. I remember one January here where the thermometer never got above 0 the entire month!!! Lake Michigan froze over that year ... bring on the sunshine!
:sunny:

Do I? …..Never! Smoking while sick sounds like a recipe for a relapse or disaster, especially in the case of an URI or beyond. It may have been the prescribed thing to do in the 1700-1800’s but so was bleeding to remove evil humors from the body. I also think you should be infection free for at least a week.
But do what you think is best.

I abstain from smoking when I am under the weather. Each November, I seem to get upper respiratory infections that prevent me from smoking (my kids get sick, and then I get sicker). But it's January now, unseasonably warm, and great for the pipe.

I think you guys jinxed me. I read this post yesterday and ...... woke up this morning and could not smell or taste anything :no:. Just a little sore throat buy my nostrils feel like the sahara desert they are so dry.

Fortunately I rarely get sick.

Last cold was around Easter '11. Fortunately that was a very mild one, and while went on for several weeks didn't seem to affect my sense of taste/smell very much.

I ratcheted back on smoking during this period, including and especially in the initial phase. Yet after a week or so I was back into the game, with minimal disruption to the enjoyment.

OTOH, if I had the flu or a really bad cold I'd stop out of necessity.

:|

Cheers,

RR