Doctor...Who?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friar_jay

Reaction score
Any fans of the good Doctor? I've been watching since the mid 80's when as a kid it aired on MPT on Saturday nights.

I started watching in the 60s (only in Canada you say... Obscure Red Rose tea reference :lol: ). My wife and I watch it every season. The Mat Smith Doctor is as much fun for me as the Tom Baker version.

I'm afraid I don't, though parts of it have been filmed not far from me. I love sci fi, but there's something about Dr Who that really turns me off it.

Huge fan of the Dr. Have been for a long time. As are most of my friends (we are all big geeks), including dreadgerbil who has piped up here with some Whoian info from time to time.*

Unfortunately I have so busy with the new semester starting that I have not had a chance to start watching the new season.

*Yes, several puns in a row - do not shoot, do not shoot.

Matt Smith's version reminds me so much of the early Doctors. You can see glimpses of previous incarnations in the way he plays the character that neither Chris Eccleston or David Tennant showed in their performances.

It makes me feel terribly old but I remember watching the very first episode at my grandmothers. I was very young at the time but it clearly left an impression.

William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton - the first two incarnations - were my favourites.

When they brought it back in 2005 I had to watch it and thought that Christopher Eccleston was very good but after that I lost interest and only watch the occasional episode.

My favorites: Tom Baker (4th Doc), Patrick Troughton (2nd Doc), and now Matt Smith (11th Doc).

Hartnell as the first doctor was kind of an indelible icon of the whole story concept in my mind, so I can't forget him. Number eleven (Smith) sure does a swell job, though.

Actually I remembered the other day that I don't dislike the current doctor anything like as much as the last one, I cant remember the guys name but he really got on my nerves. But yeah the current one is pretty decent in my opinion.

If any of you guys are really hardcore fans though, I found something you might like, check it out here

Greyson":nbhag5oc said:
Actually I remembered the other day that I don't dislike the current doctor anything like as much as the last one, I cant remember the guys name but he really got on my nerves. But yeah the current one is pretty decent in my opinion.
Ah, you mean David Tennant the Tenth Doctor.
200px-Tenth_Doctor.jpg

:x ...yeah that's the guy. All my willpower not to google him goes for naught! :)

Hopefully for the upcoming 50th anniversary next year they will, at the very least, have the Eighth Doctor (Paul McGann) guest star in an episode. It's a shame really that all he had was one live action swing at the role...of course he has made numerous audio episodes with Big Finish Productions.

200px-Eighth_Doctor.jpg

Of course if Matt Smith has any say/sway, according to an interview, he would like to see all the living Doctor's make an appearance.

Greyson - I think the sonic screwdriver is going a bit too far. But I did love the "Please Note" section on the page:

"Has limited functionality as an alien life-form tracking device, or as a lock pick
Will not work on wooden machines, deadlock seals or in the presence of some hairdryers"

friar_jay - Well remembered on Paul McGann. I had completely forgotten about that one off. I thought it was pretty good.

I stumbled upon this re-imagined Second Doctor episode, Power of the Daleks, it's very well made and shot by a group of fans...check it out.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0z6yJXQlVLE" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MwLPS3Edu28" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ULmWT3LO0kw" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For those that haven't seen it here is the prequel to the 2012 Christmas special...enjoy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/G17_B4uACgg" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

friar_jay":0oe2qu5f said:
Hopefully for the upcoming 50th anniversary next year they will, at the very least, have the Eighth Doctor (Paul McGann) guest star in an episode. It's a shame really that all he had was one live action swing at the role...of course he has made numerous audio episodes with Big Finish Productions.

200px-Eighth_Doctor.jpg

Of course if Matt Smith has any say/sway, according to an interview, he would like to see all the living Doctor's make an appearance.
No tv access currently, but I have some of the more recent Doctors on dvd. My fav is still the first I saw, #3, Jon Pertwee. As for McGann, I rather liked his version of the doctor (what little we saw of him), but didn't care much for the actual movie.

It should be fun to see what the producers come up with next November.

I am pretty clueless on this subject and need some info on it. My sister inlaw was named Tegan because my inlaws liked the shows so much. My wife bought a tartis dress recently too! :( I now dalicks are bad, the doctor has two hearts, the tartis is a time machine, and my wife told me that David Tennat married the daughter of the actor who played the second doctor. How do I get the backstory so I can fit in at family functions? The wiki pages would take me a couple days to read and even then, their still no guarantee that the info is accurate! Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think I'm as clueless as I was and realize asking anyone to explain the Doctor is a pretty messed up task. After watching a lot more I decided that my fav. was either Eccleson or Matt Smith, until Eccleson declined the guest appearance for the 50th. Because of that, we won't get an episode with all currently living Doctors, past & present. I wonder if Moffat will recast him? The guy who played Filch in the Harry Potter franchise is going to play Hartnell's Doctor.
I'm also curious to see what happens when River Song meets Clara. Speaking of Clara, what is she? Humans don't do what she did. Dalek-Human-Human again on a total different timeline.

camky":ntsc07yo said:
im a fan of doctor too :cheers:
Doctor too? Who?

Am a bit stunned by the 50 years. It was pretty campy then. Haven't really followed since they did in the robot dog.