Dodged the Bullet again

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Reaction score
Hey guys and Gals, haven't been on the PC much and things have been rather hectic around my neck of the woods recently not to mention I've been a little focused on my new truck.
That said, as far as dodging a bullet we've had 4 Tornadoes come through here in the past 5 months which is out of the ordinary, 3 just last weekend. In the past 11 years I've lived here there's been none till now. All of these have been too close for comfort and many of my neighbors were not so lucky. We had straight winds up around 75 MPH hit our place ripping limbs from trees and listening to the roof creak and grown. One good size limb just missed my new truck by a couple of feet. So, now my anxiety is rather high and I find myself worrying about the next storm to arrive. I've seen my share of Tornadoes but, never so up close and personal. Without going deeper into my minds workings of late I'm a bit self contained at the moment. Hopefully when Tornado season passes I'll be able to focus on things that I should be again.

Holy jumpin' jeepers Ron, good to hear you've been fortunate to have those nasty things miss you. I'd be scared scheitless if I ever had a close encounter with one! :shock:

Lord knows we get damaging windstorms here in the Pac NW, but they're nowhere near as dangerous as a tornado. When I was a cheesehead we'd get them semi-frequently, but usually far out in the country and not near the Milwaukee area.

Stay safe my friend!

:flower:

Cheers,

RR

It's a crap shoot whether you live or die from one day to the next. I think I'd increase my odds by jumping into a hole (either "store-bought" or hand dug) whenever one of these bad boys are in the neighborhood. Aren't these cellars or whatever they're called really popular in vulnerable areas? And then there's insurance: yep, I'd get insurance on this and that out the wazoo.

(I say that, but what would I actually do? Probably nothing, except trust to fate and take a hurtling 2 X 4 to the skull on some dark day.)

Brewdude":zg5gtge5 said:
Holy jumpin' jeepers Ron, good to hear you've been fortunate to have those nasty things miss you. I'd be scared scheitless if I ever had a close encounter with one!  :shock:  

Lord knows we get damaging windstorms here in the Pac NW, but they're nowhere near as dangerous as a tornado. When I was a cheesehead we'd get them semi-frequently, but usually far out in the country and not near the Milwaukee area.

Stay safe my friend!

:flower:

Cheers,

RR
Thank you BD, It's certainly an experience I wouldn't recommend to anyone. They say we should find shelter in a windowless room when they come but, I can't do it. I just watch and listen for it all the while figuring if it's coming for me I've got to see it, instead of trying to hide from something ya can't hide from.
And Richard, for some odd reason other then a sandy clay soil there are few homes here with basements. You can have a steel Tornado shelter put in the ground but, there pretty expensive for my pocket book.
And with all the Tornadoes in Texas over the years many still choose to live in mobile homes. My feeling is they should put handles on the sides of them to give the pallbearers something to grab hold off. :fpalm:

I was beginning to wonder if you were swept away to Oz. Hadn't seen you on here much, and the last visit was 'unknown'. Glad to hear you weathered out the last few twisters. Yuppers, been a strange meteorological couple of seasons. Hope you have better weather ahead!

Glad you made it through relatively unscathed. I've never been in that situation so I can only imagine.

Ozark Wizard":7fkmm4fw said:
I was beginning to wonder if you were swept away to Oz. Hadn't seen you on here much, and the last visit was 'unknown'. Glad to hear you weathered out the last few twisters. Yuppers, been a strange meteorological couple of seasons. Hope you have better weather ahead!
I wish I was in Oz!
Thank you OW and Mark, I'm pray'en for a drought. :fpalm:

Right out of town on the main road it looked like a war zone, big trees and power poles snapped off and tossed about like unwanted match sticks. Many were without power for several days. A lot of homes were crushed by falling trees or just ripped apart. I can't understand why so many still wish to live in mobile homes around here. There the ones that suffer the most when Tornadoes come through, like paper dolls in a blender.
We were very lucky only to catch a little of the wind see'en it passed us only by about a 1/4 mile. Surprisingly, I don't believe there were any fatalities here and only minor injuries if any.

MisterE":sxeq92m8 said:
Sheeeeet!  That's way too close for comfort!  Stay safe and stock the basement with the necessary items!
Thank you "E" but, What's a basement? :scratch:

Gee Whizz Ron, that's enough to give anyone the shakes. Glad you were able to get through it all unscathed. If that happened to me I suspect I'd be at Wallyworld buying several packages of new drawers. :affraid: :affraid:

AJ

Glad to hear you are okay. Will be praying for those who got hit. Stay as safe as you can and I would think about a relocation if I was in you situation.

Thanks guys Relocation isn't an option in my case, just haven't the money. Besides, where would I go, there everywhere nowadays or it'll be something else just a bad. I'll stay here, no sense in jumping from the frying pan into the fire. ;)

Here in the UK we catch the edges of a lot of storms which hit the US and the storms we get here sometimes are pretty scary, I dread to think what the full force of those storms are like over there with you guys, I'm pleased you are unhurt.

I saw this post a few days ago Ron. Glad you're ok mate and came out relatively unscathed. Seems like your new truck had a lucky escape too. Quite remarkable all things considered.

Working in the mountains I've come to respect the elements and what they're capable of. But without doubt the one element that really gets me on edge is high winds. I've had some super stressful nights in a tent with a group in tow wondering if the next gust would be the one to pluck us off the side of the hill, and I've had several occasions in the Highlands where I've been hit by a blast that felt more like an impact and thrown several feet. Not funny when you've got crampons on and an ice axe.

Yup, feel for you there Ron, but just pleased you're ok.

Yep, it's 'nader season again. We've already had a bunch in Oklahoma. Our neighborhood in OKC got blasted by 80mph+ winds, small hail, and lots of rain about a month ago. Fortunately only a bit of tree damage. I was in North Carolina last week when two bigun's hit south of OKC, killing two or three people. Not many basements here due to water level. "Nader season is always exciting; more so if one hits you!!!!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Tornado season was one of the main reasons we left Texas. Where we were no one had basements because you'd need dynamite to get through all the limestone. We still get reminded how much we don't miss them every 10-15 years when one drops nearby. Hopefully all you guys in tornado alley stay safe.

Jim