Does anyone know German?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyrobert

Reaction score

Hi everyone and thank you for taking the time to help out. My Grandmother recently gave me a box containing some of my Grandfathers “Treasures”. At first I thought this was some kind of powder horn. (Because of its size maybe for a black powder pistol?) Until my neighbor laughed and told me it was a German pipe bowl. My first thought was WOW, that would be A LOT of tobacco and you would probable burn the heck out of your lips! Anyhow he explained the workings of these types of pipes and it made a lot more sense. Would any one here be able to translate this for me?
Again, thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer as it brings me a little closer to knowing my deceased Grandfather.

That handwritten fraktur/blackletter is hard to decipher, but I'm pretty sure the second word is Freundschaft--"friendship." Maybe the full thing is "Auf Freundschaft"--"In Friendship."

looks like "ans Freundschaft" ("Ans" being abbreviation to "An das") and means "to friendship"

Aus Freundschaft - out of friendship
An expression that maybe has been related to a gift.
But my English is really far from perfect, and therefore I´m not hundred percent sure. Semantic subtleties aren´t that simple to understand and I´m not an interpreter.

Congratulations, this is a beautiful…. mmh… thing.

Kind regards
Thilo

Schacht":gbnirv78 said:
Aus Freundschaft - out of friendship
An expression that maybe has been related to a gift.
But my English is really far from perfect, and therefore I´m not hundred percent sure. Semantic subtleties aren´t that simple to understand and I´m not an interpreter.

Congratulations, this is a beautiful…. mmh… thing.

Kind regards
Thilo
Ok I think the fact that you wrote "semantic subtleties" attests to the fact that your English is better than 95% of English speakers lol.

Boxerbuddy":too5xjmk said:
Ok I think the fact that you wrote "semantic subtleties" attests to the fact that your English is better than 95% of English speakers lol.
Well - thank you very much… your conclusion is probably not entirely true, but very kind indeed.

Kind regards
Thilo

Schacht":h9vf0z8j said:
Boxerbuddy":h9vf0z8j said:
Well - thank you very much… your conclusion is probably not entirely true, but very kind indeed.

Kind regards
Thilo
Ever visited the US? He was definitely underestimating you. :lol:

UberHuberMan":pz5gw84r said:
Ever visited the US? He was definitely underestimating you. :lol:
OK - very funny, I´ve only been in New York for a couple of weeks. But in fact some of the most talented colleagues I´ve ever had the pleasure to work with, are Americans. You know - everyone learns some english in school here in Germany, but that doesn´t mean that you truly know the language. I was personally inspired to improve my english a little bit, so I would be able to read all that remarkable literature and see all the great movies american writers and directors have made (as some of you know, all foreign language movies are going to be dubbed here in Germany, it utterly destroys the texture and feel of every single American, English, or French motion picure - plus it keeps people from learning foreign languages).
What americans have accomplished in culture and arts, is a great gift to me personally.

Believe me, I´m not trying to glorify anything here, but the first piece of literature that really touched me, has been Henry Millers work and every single year, when Philipp Roth is again not getting the Nobel Prize in Literature, I certainly can´t believe it. What are these people in Stockholm actually trying to disclose? OK - Herta Müller, to be honest I started reading her work after she got the prize, and I didn´t even knew her before. If some of you still don´t - that really doesn´t matter. Mario Vargas Llosa is for sure a very skilled wonderful novelist, but the whole world is simply wondering why the greatest living writer of our times is so pertinaciously ignored.

It seems to me, possibly that not all Americans are simplemindet. But maybe I´m just dreaming of a brave new world, without dumb Nazi-shitheads walking around my neighbourhood, shooting my greengrocer, because his family came from Turkey originally.

I hope, you´re getting the point - kind regards
Thilo

LooKS like this has been covered. But I cant help but give the only German I know. My step dad was a navigater on the B-24s during WW2 and was shot down 3 times. The last time he was picked up on a German shore and spent the last 9 months in a POW camp. He told me the first German he learned was "Leck mich am Arsch". Basicly , Kiss the north end of my south bound body. Im being polite now. No offence intended they were nazies

I think it was a German who told me this joke:

What do you call someone who speaks two languages?
Bilingual.
What do you call someone who speaks three languages?
Trilingual.
What do you call someone who speaks ONE language?

American.

Sehr Lustig!

before i opened this thread i thought it was going to be about the round piece of paper placed on top in the presbyterian blend tin.... lol
but when all else fails i rely on google translate