Does the pipe really make THAT much difference????

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was skeptical about this at first also Robert, but I have definately found that some pipes smoke certain types better than others. I am currently experimenting with all of my pipes to see what smokes what the best.

New Smoker":35ku8j0s said:
I was skeptical about this at first also Robert, but I have definately found that some pipes smoke certain types better than others. I am currently experimenting with all of my pipes to see what smokes what the best.
funny I'd sent a PM to Bruins on this very scenerio earlier. Here's some of what I said.
I used to think "better pipes" was psychological but today I put Escudo in an old Kaywoodie that I hadn't smoked for a while and like you it burned the back of my throat! Yesterday I smoked it in a Sasieni 4 dot bent Dublin and couldn't get over how smooth it was.

It really is amazing to me as to how much difference the pipe can make. As I said earlier, I've learned to love the Storm Front in the Nording. After trying a couple of bowls in my Bjarn CW, I know it tastes pretty fair. But, it just is nowhere near as good in it as it is in the Nording!

I'm glad that it is not just me!!

Robert

Falconer":pyamk0pz said:
New Smoker":pyamk0pz said:
funny I'd sent a PM to Bruins on this very scenerio earlier. Here's some of what I said.
I used to think "better pipes" was psychological but today I put Escudo in an old Kaywoodie that I hadn't smoked for a while and like you it burned the back of my throat! Yesterday I smoked it in a Sasieni 4 dot bent Dublin and couldn't get over how smooth it was.
I know what you mean Valky, I smoke OTC burleys as an all day, every day smoke, and I'm finding that some of my favorite pipes are liking Virginias and VaPers better than Burleys. I'm smoking some McC SJW right now, and have smoked it in several pipes over the last week and I like it better in my Grabow Starfire 1/4 bent squat bulldog better than any other. Escudo goes best in my Sav Prince. Go figure! :scratch:

beebiz":lizrd9ni said:
I'm glad that it is not just me!!
Its definitely not just you, Robert. But, you WILL face some stare-downs from those who insist that a pipe is nothing but a furnace for burning tobacco. ;)

Things come down to three issues, I think. First, there's the wood. A badly cured piece of briar may, in time, "break in" and become a decent, or even a great tasting pipe. Or, it might not. I've had pipes that didn't come round even after a hundred bowls were smoked, and all sorts of "tricks" had been applied. Bad tasting briar is just bad tasting briar. (I think it possible that at least some of the bad taste comes from the shank, in which case all the cake in the world, and all the fancy bowl coatings people dream up won't do a thing to improve the taste. But, that's the kind of "research" that isn't at all pleasant, so who really wants to explore it?)

Distantly second is construction. (Get those eyebrows back down, guys.) I've had plenty of pipes that were challenging smokers, but that tasted wonderful. In some cases, I've worked on the internals to good effect, improving the smoking dynamics to the point where they are easy smokers, but in other cases, the pipes have tasted SO good, that I wouldn't dream of messing about with them. At all. If it ain't broke...

Internals are important, but if you've got bad tasting briar, all the "engineering" in the world isn't going to make the pipe taste good. On the other hand, a badly drilled pipe can usually be fixed, if you're willing to spend the time to do it yourself, or the money to have someone else do it. So, the construction, to me, is important, but not nearly as much so as the briar. Fortunately, most reputable pipe makers try to use the best briar they can find, so the Bad Briar Syndrome probably isn't as common as it was when millions of pipes were being made every year. (Much of the "break-in" mythos probably evolved from days when the majority of inexpensive pipes were made, out of necessity, from briar that wasn't cured very long, or very well, simply because of the volumes that had to flow out of the factories. Maybe we're actually fortunate, in this regard, that pipe smoking isn't as popular as it was in the 1940s.)

The factor that we too often ignore is expectation. Given that a pipe is at least a good one, if we are anticipating a great smoke, we are probably more likely to get one. It's one of those odd principles of pleasure. Even blind tasting wine-experts enjoy what they drink more when they know what it is, and can have the benefit of the expectation to set them up for the experience. (Of course, there are also those who are simply contrarian, and will begin searching for flaws when they expect something good to be coming. Kind of sad, really, but it happens too often.) Psychologist Paul Bloom discusses some of this in his recent book, How Pleasure Works. (It's not nearly as dry as it sounds - kind of a fun read, really.)

Every pipe is different. Even how a pipe feels in the hand, or between the teeth can influence our enjoyment of it.

The pipe is part of a complex system, and that system can easily be over-analyzed without yielding much objective information. The cliché, "Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke," holds true. It's fun, at least for some of us, to think about what's going on under the bonnet, but it's the driving quickly along winding roads that delivers the most pleasure.

That was very enlightening Mr. Pease! Thank you for your input. It's important to BoB to have the expertise from you and some of the others among us. Question for you or any others that might know, what about the the best curing process? Is it just a time to dry out and age thing or is it a heating process or oil treatment? I've heard of these methods but never knew which if just one would produce the better pipe.

thanks again, Valky

I agree Greg - good briar can make up for lesser construction, but good construction cannot make up for bad briar.

Of course, when you get both....

Falconer":fr22yqw4 said:
That was very enlightening Mr. Pease! Thank you for your input. It's important to BoB to have the expertise from you and some of the others among us. Question for you or any others that might know, what about the the best curing process? Is it just a time to dry out and age thing or is it a heating process or oil treatment? I've heard of these methods but never knew which if just one would produce the better pipe.
Valky, I don't know that any one curing process is the best. Air-cured, kiln-dried, oil-cured, it all makes some difference, and I suspect each smoker developsw his own preference. For me, the long-aged briar is sort of the gold-standard.

Sasquatch":pw5g2f82 said:
I agree Greg - good briar can make up for lesser construction, but good construction cannot make up for bad briar.

Of course, when you get both....
Word. ;)

All of my pipes smoke a little differently, and all are suited to different tobaccos. It's an enjoyable process finding which blends suit which pipes. At this point I know my pipes well enough that sometimes you just "get a feeling" about which blends will smoke well in which pipes after you first try them.

For instance, when I tried C&D Exhausted Rooster in my Viprati Canadian recently, which I usually default to when burley is involved, and which is a "perfectly" engineered pipe by most people's standards. But while I did enjoy it, I could just tell by the way it was smoking that it would do better in my Pete Kinsale XL13, which has a less open draw and somehow transforms certain perique-blended tobaccos into a nirvana of sweet, dark, and fruity depths that are lost in other pipes. On the other hand the Viprati tends to bring out what I would call "farmland flavors" and does awesome things with blends like Cumberland, Tilbury, and Dunbar.

I know that this is not the case because I have smoked the pipes with only these types of tobacco so they are "ghosted" with them - I did not always smoke the same things out of them. With the majority of my pipes I have had to try different things until I figured out what they were good at. For instance in my Nording Hunter's Pipe (the 2009 panel brandy one...awesome pipe) I began by smoking stuff like Bracken, 1792, and Dark Flake in it for the longest time until I tried Full Virginia Flake in it, which turned out to be a marvelous combination.

In my limited but personal experience, Ive found mating certian pipes with certian tobaccos essential.
Ive been smoking aros, since i started pipe smoking (over a year now), and bought a Comoy pipe, the comoy pipe handled BCA, Tinderbox Blends, and some local blends pretty well, for some reason 1Q just sucked in this pipe, I was just unimpressed.
Kept the bag of 1q around, and bought a Savnielli 320, and said "what the hell."
I loaded it up w/ some 1q and off to the races we went.. this stuff was AMAZING in this pipe.
I started getting into English blends back last month, and so now the Comoy is my dedicated English Blends, which it handles very well.
Thats just my opinion about things, and I could be wrong.
I agree with a good open draw, if its even and drilled correctly, not too low, not to high, then we are good to go.
Ive also found that Thicker bowl walls dissapate heat better, in my experience.
Seems like they take a little bit more to get "hot"

Hey Gents,

I think I'll throw in my own 2 cents...

I think that certain pipes like certain baccy. I have a great Boswell that does not like vanilla blends, but it loves one of my friend's private blends (a chocolate / latakia blend.)

Another experience I would like to relate on this subject...

A few weeks ago, brother Bruins sent me four samples of tobacco. Among them was some McClelland's Frog Morton. I tried it in my MM cob. It was alright. But, there were other tobaccos that I liked much better. After lighting it, my wife even complained that it stunk and banished to the outdoors! :shock: :(

The other day I decided I wanted to try something different from the Bald Headed Teacher, Storm Front and other tobaccos that I'd been regularly smoking. So, I began digging through the samples that were gifted to me by my brothers. I came across the Frog Morton. And, on a whim I decided to try some in the first pipe I came to. It just so happened that the first pipe I came to was an old Wally Frank Natural Unfinished Straight Bulldog that was an inexpensive estate Ebay find.

Sitting in the kitchen in front of the stove and next to the vent hood, I loaded the old Wally Frank with the Frog Morton, turned the vent hood's fan up on high, lit it up, and waited for my wife's negative comments. After just a few puffs, Linda asked, "Robert... are you smoking your pipe?" I figured, "here it comes!" I told her I was.

After commenting on how good it smelled, she had me come into the living room and finish the Frog Morton while I was sitting so that a fan could blow the smoke to her!! She said that it was the best smelling pipe tobacco she had ever smelled! She said that it even smelled better than a good air freshener!!!

And, the taste... it was WONDERFUL!!! Before trying the Frog Morton in my old Wally Frank, my favorite tobaccos were Bald Headed Teacher, Storm Front, and Three Blind Moose... in that order. But, the Frog Morton has now moved to the top of my list!! I think I could smoke a pound of this stuff in a week!! :shock: :lol:

I've tried the Frog Morton in some of my other pipes. And, it ranges from alright to pretty good. But, there are none of them that hosts it nearly as well as my old Wally Frank Bulldog! It's as if they fit together like two pieces of a puzzle!!!

I thank everyone who has commented in this thread. It has helped me learn and understand a bit more about that beautiful ballroom like dance between the pipe, the tobacco, and the smoker! ;)

Robert

That's an amazing story, Robert! I remember my wife commenting that OGS smelt "acrid" once. OGS acrid? Never! Guess it must have been the pipe after all.

Personally, I find the matching of pipe & tobacco to be where the science of smoking ends & the art of smoking begins. To me, it's a really fun adventure - & very rewarding too - matching pipe & tobacco. I think one eventually gets a sixth sense as to what will smoke best in a given pipe. But of course, there are no guarantees - it's often trial & error. Sounds like you hit a home run there!

Muddler":5a9jnelc said:
Personally, I find the matching of pipe & tobacco to be where the science of smoking ends & the art of smoking begins. To me, it's a really fun adventure - & very rewarding too - matching pipe & tobacco. I think one eventually gets a sixth sense as to what will smoke best in a given pipe. But of course, there are no guarantees - it's often trial & error.
You're certainly preaching to the choir there, brother Muddler!!

Muddler":5a9jnelc said:
Sounds like you hit a home run there!
It certainly felt that way to me!! That Frog Morton was so good that I finished what Bruins sent me in nothing flat!! :D :( But, after the first of the month, I'll be stocking up on some more!!! :twisted: :twisted: In the meantime, I'll be doing more "experimenting" as I dream about the Frog Morton! BTW, did I mention that I love the Frog Morton?? :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :lol:

Robert