Donald "Duck" Dunn The Pipe Smoking Bassist Passed Away

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CygnusXII

Reaction score

Watching the Blues Brothers will never be the same from now on.

A sad day indeed Donald "Duck" Dunn passed away. Bass Player for Booker T. & The MG's & The Blues Brothers, Session Musician for Stax Records, Bassist for Muddy Water, Freddie King & Jerry Lee Lewis but to name a few, passed away. A great name in Music has traveled on to his great reward. He passed away in his sleep at 70 years old. He finished a double show in Tokyo, went to bed and never woke again.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U27fNDFfGP" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, especially since they were part of the backbone of Stax's session band. They have probably performed on more records than you can shake a stick at. They truly were Rock & Roll.

Sad news...
I'd give anything for a bassist with even a fraction Dunn's groove.

n_20597_4.jpeg

He also played with Eric Clapton and with Neil Young on Crazy Horse releases. Crazy Horse has a new album coming out soon, "Americana" that sounds pretty good (typical Crazy Horse, which, is excellent..). I wonder if Duck played on the studio recording?

Duck Dunn, Steve Cropper and Booker T, backing up Joe Walsh.

Wife and I were in the audience, one of the greatest concerts ever.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mcveyL_7xn8" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think because he played with so many different people, that was part of his mojo. He was so versatile a musician, and not only did he lay down the bass line for the music, he contributed his own personal flair. A good Bass Man lay down a foundation for the rest of the band to sync to, along with the drummer. The Drummer and Bass line are the Concrete and rebar of a songs foundation. Neither one can walk all over the place, without spelling disaster for a song. My Father played in bands almost all his life. He made a lot of extra cash that way, and it made a great second job, back in the day. I've played in a band or two myself. I can say there is nothing worse than a bass player or a drummer that wanders on the beat. Well except a lead singer that likes to drink to much. When you play Honkytonks it seems like the lead singer always drinks too much. It's like a given; I don't know why though?

CygnusXII":ldrsikl3 said:
It's like a given; I don't know why though?
ya go to a Honky Tonk ta drink, a Bar to get drunk and a Club to be kool :p

Dunn played with everybody.

Dunn's discography.

He first got on my radar when the Blues Brothers came out way back when. He was the guy with the silver pipe playing bass. I had no idea until later who he and Steve Cropper were and the extent of their influence.

MisterE":9ad5ep6t said:
Dunn played with everybody.

Dunn's discography.

He first got on my radar when the Blues Brothers came out way back when. He was the guy with the silver pipe playing bass. I had no idea until later who he and Steve Cropper were and the extent of their influence.
Wow, a shorter list might be who he didn't play with!

Someone posted this on another forum. The pipe reportedly belong to Duck Dunn and was made for him, but they weren't sure he ever smoked it. It would look better with a big wad of tobacco sticking out of the bowl....

attachment.php