Don't Play With Possum

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brother Chuck, you would do well to use a cannon of some sort against a darn possum!! When I was a teen, I watched as my dad shot a possum in the forehead six times with a .22... without the possum dying!!! Daddy was using shorts with round heads... only thing he had at the time. And, he was hitting the possum each time. You could actually hear the bullets as they ricocheted off his thick skull! Blood was flying everywhere, and the old possum was addled each time he was hit. But, he was still going until daddy shot him a couple of times in the body area!!!

Do please watch for infection. Possums are some of the nastiest animals alive. I know this first hand from a squirrel hunting trip back when I was 16. I had killed my limit that morning and was walking back to the truck. I noticed that there was a dead cow laying in the field. I could tell that she was bloated quite a bit from laying in the sun.

As I approached her carcass, I noticed some movement from her stomach area. As I watched, trying to figure out what was causing the movement, her stomach ruptured. When it did, I couldn't believe my eyes. Out of the carnage walked an old sow possum and two joeys (what the baby possums are called)!!!! All three of them were covered in rotten cow goo, grinning from ear to ear, licking their lips, and smacking so loudly that I could easily hear them.

Knowing how nasty these critters are, do keep a close eye on the bite! And, for goodness sake... DON'T EAT HIM!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Robert

beebiz":9e22s0ud said:
Brother Chuck, you would do well to use a cannon of some sort against a darn possum!! When I was a teen, I watched as my dad shot a possum in the forehead six times with a .22... without the possum dying!!! Daddy was using shorts with round heads... only thing he had at the time. And, he was hitting the possum each time. You could actually hear the bullets as they ricocheted off his thick skull! Blood was flying everywhere, and the old possum was addled each time he was hit. But, he was still going until daddy shot him a couple of times in the body area!!!

Do please watch for infection. Possums are some of the nastiest animals alive. I know this first hand from a squirrel hunting trip back when I was 16. I had killed my limit that morning and was walking back to the truck. I noticed that there was a dead cow laying in the field. I could tell that she was bloated quite a bit from laying in the sun.

As I approached her carcass, I noticed some movement from her stomach area. As I watched, trying to figure out what was causing the movement, her stomach ruptured. When it did, I couldn't believe my eyes. Out of the carnage walked an old sow possum and two joeys (what the baby possums are called)!!!! All three of them were covered in rotten cow goo, grinning from ear to ear, licking their lips, and smacking so loudly that I could easily hear them.

Knowing how nasty these critters are, do keep a close eye on the bite! And, for goodness sake... DON'T EAT HIM!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Robert
lovely stories beebiz. cherry and bright, christmas and rainbows. please gran-papa, tell us another one... :D

bruins":pt0k2cfb said:
lovely stories beebiz. cherry and bright, christmas and rainbows. please gran-papa, tell us another one... :D
No problem, little Bru!! Give "gran-papa" his pipe back and he'll tell you about the time he served roasted Rudolf and baked Frosty the Snowman for supper after cooking them over a fire built with Pinocchio!!!
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Robert

Just wondering ,,,after playing mountain man and slaying the beast, are you going to have it mounted????? :D

beebiz":uin8x9y6 said:
No problem, little Bru!! Give "gran-papa" his pipe back and he'll tell you about the time he served roasted Rudolf and baked Frosty the Snowman for supper after cooking them over a fire built with Pinocchio!!!

Robert
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: you'd be perfect for halloween!

bruins":i9715ub4 said:
beebiz":i9715ub4 said:

Robert
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: you'd be perfect for halloween!
With Valky looks and my stories, you're probably right!!!!
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Robert

mark":rpnmqkyx said:
Just wondering ,,,after playing mountain man and slaying the beast, are you going to have it mounted????? :D
Well mark some would some not.. To tell ya the truth It was too young to mount.. I was told a long time growing up as a young man .. Never mount anything that is too young.. :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:
Chuck..

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

it's been a couple days now, VE. hows the hand looking?

bruins":9d62yva2 said:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

it's been a couple days now, VE. hows the hand looking?
Looking okay bruins.. Two knuckles are a bit stiff but no infection or swelling or redness.. I think on tooth hit a bone in my hand above the two knuckles and it bruised the bone and it takes a tad longer to heal being a not so young fellow anymore.. Thanks for thinking of me.. I will try to hang around to keep dreaming the dream for my Brothers Of Briar.. :elephant:
Chuck..

Nice work, I hate possums. You got it with a pocketknife? I would have run and grabbed the machete. :twisted:

Jack Straw":ecehhwd9 said:
Nice work, I hate possums. You got it with a pocketknife? I would have run and grabbed the machete. :twisted:
I have one of those machetes Jack Straw.. Was at the moment type of thing.. Caught him in the chicken coop.. Plus I had a good portion of homemade wine so I was on a hot trail... Yep a pocketknife... A good little sharp one too.. But the Possum has sharp teeth I found out.. Going to hang a club in the chicken coop.. No more Rambo stuff for me.. :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

My trusty Old " Old Timer " next to my latest 50 cal. Deer Antler Points Tampers...

very nice, VE. glad the hand is okay. sounds like you might be in the clear! one things for certain, you won't catch me in your chicken coop! :D

Glad to hear that the hand appears to be on the road to recovery, brother Chuck!!

I'm with Bruins... I'm stayin' the Hell out of your chicken coop!!!!! You is one bad dude!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Robert

bluedigital":lwtsw0vf said:
Love those tampers Chuck, really cool man
Good morning Brothers.. Hey BD I am going to try to collect some more empty 50 cal. casings as I have a few friends who are giving me some deer antlers to make more tampers with they will make nice collector items I can gift out.. It will be slow going but a nice item all in all to chat about when using.. Now off to hunting out back for venison.. First day open season for firearms.. Wish me luck... :cheers:
Chuck.. Bruins I am using a 12 gauge with 3" Slugs.. :lol!: :lol!:
Chuck

velveteagle":xb0dwzcd said:
Wish me luck... :cheers:
Chuck
i think it's the deer who'll need some luck. :D

velveteagle":c0t9lw0m said:
bluedigital":c0t9lw0m said:
Love those tampers Chuck, really cool man
Good morning Brothers.. Hey BD I am going to try to collect some more empty 50 cal. casings as I have a few friends who are giving me some deer antlers to make more tampers with they will make nice collector items I can gift out.. It will be slow going but a nice item all in all to chat about when using.. Now off to hunting out back for venison.. First day open season for firearms.. Wish me luck... :cheers:
Chuck
Good luck to you brother Chuck!!! Back when I was still physically able to do it, I always loved to go deer hunting. But, my greatest love was for the eating of the deer burgers, deer sausage, deer roasts, tenderloin, and back straps! Out of these, my favorite was always the tenderloin on some homemade biscuits... with some gravy and eggs!! Yum, yum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's kind of neat to learn that you are using a 12 gauge with deer slugs. Back when I first started hunting here in West Tennessee, a shotgun with deer slugs was the only firearm that was legal to use to deer hunt! And, to tell you the truth... if I were still able to deer hunt, I'd be using a .410 with slugs! It's one of the best deer guns I've eve used. They're accurate. They have a reasonable range. And, they don't tear the meat up like larger gauge/caliber projectiles do!

Like I said, good luck!! And, eat an extra tenderloin for me!!!!! ;) ;)

Robert