Dottle

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillpsych

Reaction score
I was wondering about the dottle. I have had low tolerance for this stuff for a long long time. Recently I read that Sherlock Holmes would knock out the dottle and mix it with fresh tobacco and smoke it. I'm wondering how people feel about this... I try my best to smoke the bowl down as far as I can, but I get to a certain, bitter point, and I'm done. This has, in the past, created some uneven cake buildup, so I'm aware of this...
Just wanted to put that out there.

Dottle goes out the window, in an ash tray, anywhere but back into my pipe.

Save the dottle and offer it as the prize for a trivia contest,,,

Dottle gets tossed by me too! I get to that certain place in the bottom of the bowl and out it goes !

I love dottle (hence my moniker) and save it all. I let it dry and collect it along the year. When Xmas approaches there is a good batch to work with. I like to make brownies with it to give away to my favorite friends during the Holiday Season. Last year my Tax Assessor got an especially large batch, enough to go around to all the poor souls that work there.

Wet Dottle":8ut0uakc said:
I love dottle (hence my moniker) and save it all. I let it dry and collect it along the year. When Xmas approaches there is a good batch to work with. I like to make brownies with it to give away to my favorite friends during the Holiday Season. Last year my Tax Assessor got an especially large batch, enough to go around to all the poor souls that work there.
You are obviously a very generous man. Glad to make your aquaintance...

My experience with Dottle was nearly as good as the tobacco itself. A mixture of Boswell's Aros. I actually liked it. Is that weird? :shock:

EJ and the Serlock Holmes character are a little on the eccentric side!

Conan Doyle simply wanted to exagerate Sherlock Holmes excentricities as much as possible for his readers. It was no more than a little "shock value". This is where the "drying out of the previous days dottle and smoking it" came from. I wouldn't recommend trying it myself though...

Blech! I am no dottle saver. I have no issue tossing a bit once the smoke becomes unpleasant.

-Andrew

I save all my dottle and beers with cigarette buts in em as a chaser - great breakfast smoke.

STOKED.... Killer one bro, Whats on the lunch menu as far as House blends go???
I save my dottle and sell it to illegal immigrants and boarder hoppers as chewing tobacco....... no really the stuff is horrid especially aro dottle...... ahhh no man!
:lol: :bounce: :no:

Dottle frustrates me. One the one hand, I don't want to smoke it 'cause it tastes bad and with some tobaccos is just outright gross. On the other, I feel guilty as if I am wasting tobacco and feel as if my bowl was left unfinished. Usually I just toss it, but sometimes I will suffer to smoke it with the next bowl just to make myself feel better about it and assuage my guilt.

Frost":ug8e5ggu said:
Dottle frustrates me. One the one hand, I don't want to smoke it 'cause it tastes bad and with some tobaccos is just outright gross. On the other, I feel guilty as if I am wasting tobacco and feel as if my bowl was left unfinished. Usually I just toss it, but sometimes I will suffer to smoke it with the next bowl just to make myself feel better about it and assuage my guilt.
That sounds like me. Call it the Waste of Unsmoked Tobacco Complex (WUTC).

I never save the stuff...and i dont feel bad about it..It kind of grossed me out when I read it in SHerlok Holmes...nasty stuff