Down Memory Lane - Affordable Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Juggling stuff in and out of my medium cabinet this morning I came across three well sealed plastic peanut butter jars of tobacco...blends from the defunct Affordable Pipes site. Wow...that takes me back. When they closed, some years back, it was a real blow. Guy Wallace - owner & blender - took FOREVER to fill an order, but his blends were worth it. He never passed his very popular recipes on to anyone. They stayed in his vest picket.

Every blender seems to have a kind of signature. Russ Ouelette, Greg Pease, Steve Books, Carole at Wilke's, John Patton...etc. Guy Wallace was no different...to me his signature was rather soft, Burley forward, semi aromatic blends that might not blow your mind but never insulted...friendly...easy...even a bit subtle. Several were major favorites...Blue Grass Melody among them.

Well that's what I found. That plus some Morning Watch and some Fog Cutter. Nice! I thought I'd sent all my Blue Grass Melody to Fatman! I think I'll grab my new MM Cobbit Hobbit cob and do a little stroll...down memory lane. A lovely find. Old friends well met.

If you're out there Guy, we miss you. Good on you and yours.

Someone once told me that his blends were nothing more than common Altadis bulks. I never smoked anything from Affordable Pipes, so I really don't know.

How long ago did they close? It's been a while. I'm not a fan of aromatics, but used to enjoy his Navy Blend. Fog Cutter wasn't bad, either. Yes, it took long time to have the orders filled, but then the tobacco would come in vacuum-sealed package, which was nicer than the usual ziplock bags. Had a couple of pipes refurbished by Guy and he did a fine job.

Very nice post. Sometmes those items that are hidden away can mean so much!