Dr. Grabow, Cheap for the new smoker, effective.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amystika

Reaction score
So A few days ago I decided I wanted a new pipe, and as an Easter present a girl I know purchased me a Dr. Grabow OMEGA Briar pipe.

To look at, Its beautiful, incredibly lightweight compared to what it looks like it would weigh.

I've had about 4 or 5 bowls in this thing and they have all smoked fantastically. No Gurgle, the bowl burned cool the smoke was pleasant and every sip of the pipe was delicious.

At $23 dollars, for a new smoker such as myself, I dont think you can miss on these!

I would definitely get another.

I have a Grabow Duke at work for those quick lunchtime bowls. Nothing wrong them, glad you like it.
I would bet there are more than a few people on here who have one sitting around some place.
Enjoy :)

I have to say that my old (bought it back in the late 70s I think) bent Grabow Duke is a great little smoker -- not the best looking pipe I have by any means, but I prefer function over looks

One of my first pipes was a Grabow. Nothing wrong with them at all. Some do smoke better than others, but i've never had a bad one. At their price point they're hard to beat and will last a lifetime!

By 'lifetime' I mean until 12/21/12 when the aliens come back and our world ends. :twisted:
Damn you Mayans and your Calendar! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My local B&M carrys Dr G's. I should check them out closer.

Years before I got into pipesmoking seriously, I messed around with the pipe perhaps 15 years ago. I remember picking up a Grabow from the local CVS with a shape I liked the look of. I do remember it getting very hot and gurgling, but then it could have easily been user error. I didn't know the first thing about pipesmoking back then.

Occasionally the company will have some specials on various products and pipes. If you register here ---> Dr. Grabow Pipes they will put you on their mailing list fpr specials and may give you their mail order listing.

Jim

I've had three Grabows and little luck with any of them. I'm pretty sure they all turned me off to pipe smoking earlier in life--except for sentimental attachment. At that point, I thought tobacconist shops that sold pipes were for rich old men exclusively....now I can find a corncob or a basket pipe for the same amount of money as a Grabow in a Walgreen's that perform amazingly.

It's either luck for someone else or ineptness on my part--Grabows probably smoke fine for others. 8)

My wife gave me an '09 Collectors Dr. G. It's a decent looker nice sandblast, good weight, and smokes fine. I prefer to leave the filter out of it when I use it. In every respect it's a damned decent pipe. I hope you enjoy yours for many years to come.

Jim

I mentioned on another thread a serendipitious moment of finding a time capsule of my pipe stuff put away years ago in a closet and forgotten. I've been going through this treasure, and found, among other stuff, my very first pipe -- a Dr. Grabow bent Regal with a silver band. It's in great shape, looks just broken in, partially because the pipe shop where I bought it, oh, 45 years ago, quickly steered me toward their displays of iconic Charatans and Mountbattens. In those days, I could just walk into the shop and buy a tin of genuine Balkan Sobranie as if this could go on forever. The pipe is smallish, a bit larger than Peterson would call a "day pipe." Even the vulcanite mouthpiece polished up nicely with nothing more than a bit of elbow grease. But here's the really, really nice thing about pipery -- it can be a time capsule for you. The reason I bought this pipe in the first place was that I'd been hired by a Pennsylvania college as their youngest English dept faculty member. Since I looked no older than my students, my new colleagues introduced me to the pipe as a way to gain a few years. So today I took a mug o' Twinings, augmented slightly, and sat under my flowering plum tree enjoying a nice bowl of EMP and thinking about my old friends and students. Man, did that take me back a decade or five.

In commemoration of the Titanic disaster anniversary, may I recommend to you a reading of the brief Thomas Hardy poem, "The Convergence of the Twain." Actually, you can probably Google it.

In the few months I've been piping I've purchased 3 new and several estate Grabows. All smoke well and I've not regretted any of them. The only other one I really want at this point is a Big Pipe. Those look neat...

My Omega has become my Jack Knife Plug pipe as I need something with a more manageable chamber for a "stronger" toby. Works perfect!

:D I'd have to agree,Grabows are a great pipe for the buck! Bought my first about 6 years ago. 200 or so later I have yet to find a bad one !! Except for the one that was BADLY ghosted with Mix.79! :(