DR PLUMB

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyPete

Reaction score
I've never own one of these pipes. I've bought an estate now for $32 and which is in very good shape.

I was just wondering what the BoB think of these pipes please?

I really don't know much about them. I had two; a Dublin and a big billiard, both with saddle bits. Bought 'em in a drug store in Hays Kansas in 1968 or so. Both smoked fine; I remember they had decent grain but a lot of fills, albeit small ones. I carried them as spares in my shooting box for a long time but they disappeared at some point.

I have a sandblast LB-shaped billiard with the filter accommodation in the shank, which I leave empty. Smokes as well as any Dunhill or Castello I own. Not crazy about the metal tenon, but I like the pipe.

dr_p_110.jpg
" />

My second pipe was a Dr. Plumb. Squat bulldog with a saddle bit. Still have it although I haven't smoked it in decades!!! Darn good briar for maybe the $4-6 I paid for it in 1964!!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Hi, Pete.

I have one, a straight Prince which a bought as part of collection from a lady here in my neck of the woods. Had to bring it back from the brink of death as it had very bad rim char/cake buildup and a very loose stem. All remedied with a bit of elbow grease and beeswax. Smokes fine and has a very open draw, which I know you like.

It's currently in rotation, so I'll bring it along on Saturday. I think Anton, our new member, is also a fan.

Regards,

M.

If I remember correctly I read somewhere that Dr.Plumb Pipes are made by the same company that makes GBD's. If someone here on the forum knows this to be incorrect please let me know. I have one Dr. Plumb which has a metal shank with a detachable bowl. I've only smoked it a couple of times and it performed very well. Except for my Falcon pipes I never smoke any of my metal pipes. I just collect them. :)

AJ

I own a few. One is a full bent Apple (might be from their Dinky line...unfortunate name). The other is a bent billiard with a rather long stem. Both of them are excellent though I don't use the bent billiard much because it is too long to fit in my pouch.

ajn27511":zkwu7e1t said:
If I remember correctly I read somewhere that Dr.Plumb Pipes are made by the same company that makes GBD's. If someone here on the forum knows this to be incorrest please let me know. I have one Dr. Plumb which has a metal shank with a detachable bowl. I've only smoked it a couple of times and it performed very well. Except for my Falcon pipes I never smoke any of my metal pipes. I just collect them. :)

AJ
Pipephil.eu says:

"Brand created in 1925 by GBD's Parisian sales manager J.B. Rubinovich. The Dr Plumb production was run by the Ruchon & Verguet and also Ropp factories (Saint-Claude - France). The brand now belongs to the English Cadogan group."

Richard Burley":3dlsn3l2 said:
I have a sandblast LB-shaped billiard with the filter accommodation in the shank, which I leave empty. Smokes as well as any Dunhill or Castello I own. Not crazy about the metal tenon, but I like the pipe.

dr_p_110.jpg
" />
I'd like it too! She's a looker!

ajn27511":zyezct0e said:
I have one Dr. Plumb which has a metal shank with a detachable bowl. I've only smoked it a couple of times and it performed very well.
I love the look of those Dr. Plumb Peacemakers, AJ. The best looking metal pipes out there, in my opinion. They're not that easy to come by in the states, but they pop up on eBay every now and then. I've been trying to snag one but no luck so far. Congrats on yours!

I have a Dinky (where's Cart when you need him) I haven't smoked it yet as I've not excised the ghost from it.
I've given it the salt and alcohol treatment and the charcoal treatment will be next. Thinking it's probably a lost
cause as the ghost is of the other kind of pipe "weed" I believe.

Clay":w688uasp said:
Thinking it's probably a lost cause as the ghost is of the other kind of pipe "weed" I believe.
Oh, man. I really hope not. You're right about it being a lost cause if it is. Once that resin seeps into the wood, it's never coming back out. I hate to see good pipes get tainted by bad weed.

Clay, you might consider the possibility of sending it to Walker Briar Works for their Ozone chamber treatment. It's very inexpensive and cures many ghosting issues.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":7sf70d2a said:
Clay, you might consider the possibility of sending it to Walker Briar Works for their Ozone chamber treatment. It's very inexpensive and cures many ghosting issues.

Cheers,

RR
I've thought about that, and I believe there's a price break if you send in more than one. I really like their stem polish and wax, i used it this weekend to
polish a Weber and a stem on a Lepeltier. I also have one of their Forever stems.

Clay":xr6mq8tb said:
Brewdude":xr6mq8tb said:
I've thought about that, and I believe there's a price break if you send in more than one.
Good luck with it. If you try it, please let us know if it works out. I've had a couple of estates that were previously used for weed and I was never able to get rid of the funk. Once that resin impregnates the briar, it isn't going anywhere without a fight.

My Dr Plumb pipe was my first Briar pipe. It is good smoker and one of the pipes I reach for first out of my collection.

From my understand and from what I could find online "
Dr Plumb Pipes have been producing high quality pipes from the finest available briar for almost two centuries. As one of the most respected brands, they have manufactured these outstanding pipes in London since 1825.
If you want to try the best of British with your pipes then look no further than these wonderful home-grown innovations. "

My Dr Plumb does indeed say London made.

wp_20112.jpg

wp_20113.jpg