Dream commission

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boulder&Briar

Reaction score
If there was a pipe, that you had no limitation of cost, that you could commission you're favorite pipe maker to make, what would it be? I would have a very hard time considering all of the great carvers out there, but I would probably have something really crazy done by Stephen Downie, or Todd Johnson and it would have the characteristics of a meer lined calabash with several different sized briar bowls, and most likely be some dark, rusticated, with a light and dark spalted exotic wood for the rim of the bowl, and a long black and amber, or very dark red lucite stem, translucent or something With a lot of depth, and with a silver or white gold band that has celtic knot work engrave into it. I've started to design and engineer one to make for myself. I also have picked up a couple commissions, and one has requested a calabash. I'm really diggin on the design and the smoking characteristics.

sometimes the simple and smooth lined pipes stand out, especially when the grains run and enhance. i've seen your creations and you DO have a talent. the simple dream pipe i have always wanted has been the STANWELL N1 IN NATURAL GRAIN DESIGN.

Ahhhhhhh, yes, Nanna. Her work is soft, gently flowing curves and down right georgeous, as is she. I would definitely like to own one of hers some day. Good call brother, and thanks for the compliment :cheers:

You must see the Calabash pipe made by the American pipe maker Joe Skoda. It is nothing short of amazing. He had it on display at the recent CORPS show. It sounds like it somewhat fits your description. Unfortunately It is not displayed on his site. Hopefully someone has a photo of the pipe you would be amazed.

Oh, I must see it! I do like a lot of Skoda's work. Hopefully someone has a pic to post. I'll have to check out some other show reports to see. I'm sure someone has a pic.

And also include who it would be. In ping a study/survey of what style and what maker seems to be most wanted. Basically do you like simple classical designs, or new age nor complex sculptural design.

I'd want a straight classic billiard from all the big name makers: Nordh, Ivarsson, Former, Eltang, ect.

I'm hunting the Platonic ideal: The perfect billiard.