Dressing up an Estate Oom Paul

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontariopiper

Reaction score
Hi folks. Another quick refurb post. This Oom Paul came to me in a recent estate lot. It's marked only "Imported Briar". It cleaned up okay but I thought it was a bit boring, so I gave it a two-tone makeover.

Hope you like it. Full Write-up and more pics on my blog at DadsPipes

Thanks for looking!

Brewdude":l84x3esb said:
Once again, a fabulous job brother. That pipe now has some character. Well done!

8) 

Cheers,

RR
Thanks! It was nice to find one pipe in this estate lot that I didn't need to repair/rebuild first, so I had some fun adding a bit of bling. :D

Your rustication is really fitting on these vintage pipes. It absolutely looks like it belongs.

Sid.Stavros":7r6b58xg said:
I like the rustic work and the "duo-tone" look! :cheers:
Thanks Sid. This one has gone off to a new owner, who so far is pleased with it. :D

Funny. I've got an Oom Paul just like that...pretty much a basket job. Can't remember where I got it, but remember $10 for some reason. I used to drag it out to my outdoor shop where I would let it smolder away for hours loaded with a moderate N Gawith blend. I realized pretty soon that I was getting more hours of enjoyment per dollar with that thing than nearly any other pipe I owned. Homage to both Oom Paul and basket pipes...sometimes they just work really, really well.

Blackhorse":6zr85lzh said:
Funny. I've got an Oom Paul just like that...pretty much a basket job. Can't remember where I got it, but remember $10 for some reason. I used to drag it out to my outdoor shop where I would let it smolder away for hours loaded with a moderate N Gawith blend. I realized pretty soon that I was getting more hours of enjoyment per dollar with that thing than nearly any other pipe I owned.  Homage to both Oom Paul and basket pipes...sometimes they just work really, really well.
I agree. The cheap "basket-grade" pipes continue to sell for a reason. Sometimes it's because they're affordable, but if this were the only positive about them, they'd only ever be a "first pipe". I've seen racks full of them, so the functionality has to be there in at least some of them.