Drew Estate Java Maduro

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

somedumbjerk

Reaction score
Picked this cigar up yesterday on a whim from the pipe shop I hang out in. I'm not much into flavored cigars, but I've heard good things about this one. I hear it's in conjunction with rocky Patel. Didn't wat it in my humidor so I put it in my ammo can with a pop up sponge sprayed with distilled water. Checked the humidity tonight and it was at 97%! Whoops. Set it out for an hour before lighting up. Clipped, draw was a little tight, no surprise with my poor judgement. Pre light draw was sweet, with mocha and leather. The wrapper is cloyingly sweet at first on the lips, like when you first sip a hot cocoa. Took to flame easily, and smoked exactly like the pre light draw. Leather, coffee, cocoa, sweet. Even burn, first third was solid with little to no complexity. Second third turns a little nutty , like adding hazelnut slightly to the mix. Background of cedar and a little pepper on the retro hale. I'm pairing it with a drakes denogginizer IPA, very hoppy and malty. When I take a sip I get the hazelnut a but stronger. Nicotine kicks in a little more during the second third. Still a medium cigar, but I expected less out of an infused stick. Pleasant surprise really. When I don't concentrate on the flavor it tastes like sipping a mocha in between puffs of a good maduro. Final third the cedar fades a bit, more leather, more pepper, same sweetness as second third. Had a few hard puffs in the beginning to see if it would get harsh, it kinda did. Set it down for a bit and it's behaving again. The retro hale is picking up a lite complexity. Maybe a little jammy? It's a flavor I get in red wines a lot but I can't single it out. Mixes well with the hazelnut mocha thing. Getting more natural tobacco flavors as I approach the nub. Overall it was decent. The sweetness of the wrapper lasts a little long on the lips. It had good tobacco, and the flavors aren't too terrible. They don't taste super artificial, but it's not going to taste like a nice boutique cup if coffee either. Finishing up this review as I got into bed, my wife asks "what did you smoke? It smells awful! Really strong!" So I'll take that as a good sign. I would buy it again, if the mood struck me. I have another coffee cigar for later in the week. I'll try and compare the two. Anyone else smoke it and care to chime in ? This is my first cigar review. I suppose I should have taken pictures. Wouldn't have been as mobile friendly. I wanted to write it as I smoked. Next time maybe I'll write it and take pictures and put it up later.

I've never smoked a Java but have heard good things about it. One friend, who normally doesn't smoke flavored cigars, enjoyed a Java after a nice dinner and accompanied the smoke with a nice glass of brandy. He also thought the quality tobaccos came through and paired nicely with the coffee flavor, the latter wasn't overpowering.

Nice review, sir, and thanks for posting! :D 

The Java and Tabak Especial aren't too far apart. The Maduro wrapper is too strong for me. But both sticks in the ligther Connecticut wrapper are perfect. THESE ARE NOTHING LIKE THE ACID LINE!!!! And I cannot emphasize that enough. The sweetened tip might turn some away, but all-in-all it is a great smoke (Tabak as well). I personally enjoy the sweet tip and the overall flavor of the stick. I do tend to stick to the toro or cigarillo as anything larger packs a bit too much nicotine for me.

I agree that the Java line has little in common with most of the rest of ACID cigars. As a side note, this is the only cigar I've ever found that my wife likes to smoke.

I was turned off by the strong wrapper flavor on the lips. A nice smooth, creamy smoke, but I found it to be artificially sweet.

Thanks! I'll try to do a few more. It makes you concentrate in the smoke a bit more which is nice for identifying flavors you like. Maybe I should start a journal on it or something