Drink Recipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bolson":ebejkdxx said:
What if your neighbors start out good looking?? :cheers:
Then you make THEM drink it 'till YOU look good :cheers:

Strip and Go Naked comment:
I make mine with vodka, not whiskey

Manhattans:
2 shots Wild Turkey Rye 101
1 shot Noilly Prat Sweet Vermouth
cuppa drops bitters ( I like Peychauds)
Shaken until my fingers stick to the frozen metal sides, strained into chilled martini glass
Drink and Repeat

rick":0423hm8j said:

Manhattans:
Shaken until my fingers stick to the frozen metal sides, strained into chilled martini glass
Drink and Repeat
I love Manhattans. Give this variation a go:

1/3oz Noilly Prat dry vermouth
2/3oz Martini sweet vermouth
3oz Maker's Mark (or your favourite Bourbon or Rye)
dash of bitters

Shake and strain into cocktail glasses. Garnish with a Morello cherry.

The combination of the vermouths add some complexity and tones down the sweetness just a bit. The 3:1 ratio lets the whisky shine through a little more brightly.

When I have it, I like either Carpano Antico or Vya sweet vermouth. These are complex enough to make a fantastic Manhattan without mixing with a dry vermouth.

I often make these with either Wild Turkey rye, or Ritterhouse, which is a lovely small batch rye that's about the same price as WT.

The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world. It's cocktail time! ;)

Cheers!
-glp

glpease said:
rick":heqn8ho3 said:

dash of bitters

The combination of the vermouths add some complexity and tones down the sweetness just a bit. The 3:1 ratio lets the whisky shine through a little more brightly.

When I have it, I like either Carpano Antico or Vya sweet vermouth. These are complex enough to make a fantastic Manhattan without mixing with a dry vermouth.
-glp
Thanks Greg...........Ill have to give your recipe a go.
Would you call that a "Perfect" Manhattan ??
The Vya vermouth.............hard to find and I could kick myself for not getting any when we visited Quady last year.
Oh well, I'll keep looking and when I do find some maybe I'll break into my precious stash of Bohemian Scandal and have a bowl.

rick":pns1p88o said:
Thanks Greg...........Ill have to give your recipe a go.
Would you call that a "Perfect" Manhattan ??
The Vya vermouth.............hard to find and I could kick myself for not getting any when we visited Quady last year.
Oh well, I'll keep looking and when I do find some maybe I'll break into my precious stash of Bohemian Scandal and have a bowl.
Perfect? I'll have to try a couple hundred more variants. I'll get back to you on that. ;)

Technically, the "Perfect" Mahnattan would have equal parts of sweet and dry vermouth. That loses some of the magic, to my tastes. And, I know what you mean about finding Vya. The Carpano Antica is as good, and might be a little more widely available. It's good as an aperitif, too.

-glp

glpease":7jdlq1zg said:
rick":7jdlq1zg said:

Manhattans:
Drink and Repeat

dash of bitters

I often make these with either Wild Turkey rye, or Ritterhouse, which is a lovely small batch rye that's about the same price as WT.

The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world. It's cocktail time! ;)

Cheers!
-glp
I wish we could get those rye whiskeys here in NC. The only rye available here through the communist run ABC stores is Jim Beam Rye. They were carrying the Wild Turkey Rye for a short period of time and stopped for some reason. My favorite is Van Winkle Family reserve but they refuse to carry that one too.

I've got two stand bye cocktails.

The Churchill Martini
Several ounces of gin, (Sapphire is the tradition for Br Churchill, but Hendrix gin wasn’t around then) over ice. Shake till thirsty. Place dry vermouth bottle with the sun shining through it onto you glass. Pour through vermouth tainted sunbeam into stemmed glass. Garnish with a twist.

Or

Manhattan
Bourbon, ½ capful of sweet vermouth, bitters to taste and a couple marichinos.

1 stick unsalted butter (room temp)
2 cups brown sugar
1tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
pinch of cloves
pinch of salt

Combine all ingredients.

Take 3 oz of spicy, dark rum and add at least as much water to a mug (more if youre a girly man) and heat in microwave until boiling.
Add a heaping TBSP of butter mix and stir.
Drink.

A few more winter warmers--

Georgia Good Night- One cup of hot Lipton Peach Herbal tea and a jigger of peach brandy.

Jim's Delight- One cup of hot Lipton Cinnamon Apple Herbal tea, half teaspoon of sourwood honey and a jigger of Laird's AppleJack.

Chocolate Truffle- One cup of Nestle's Dark Rich hot chocolate, one jigger of Meyer's Dark rum, topped with whipped cream or Cool Whip.

Jim

about to make a mistake 12 pack dixie beer 1 bottle jack daniels 1 bottle fruit punch 4 hours later 2 very fat ugly twentysomethings....... presto! oh, wait, I forgot the worst part..... a camcorder!

vaperfavour":jkmebaai said:
about to make a mistake 12 pack dixie beer 1 bottle jack daniels 1 bottle fruit punch 4 hours later 2 very fat ugly twentysomethings....... presto! oh, wait, I forgot the worst part..... a camcorder!
You're a funny guy Vaper! :lol: :lol: :lol:

the macdonald":h6fafucs said:
I've got two stand bye cocktails.

The Churchill Martini
Several ounces of gin, (Sapphire is the tradition for Br Churchill, but Hendrix gin wasn’t around then) over ice. Shake till thirsty. Place dry vermouth bottle with the sun shining through it onto you glass. Pour through vermouth tainted sunbeam into stemmed glass. Garnish with a twist.

Or

Manhattan
Bourbon, ½ capful of sweet vermouth, bitters to taste and a couple marichinos.
I love Martini recipes like that. Gin, olives, give the vermouth a good long staring at, make it cold, and serve.

The Dean Martin Martini involved driving a tanker truck full of vermouth a little too close to the front door of the club.

Rusty Nail:

2 shots JW Red (or your favorite mixing scotch whisky)

1 Shot Drambuie

3 cubes of ice

Then enjoy with some University Flake in a favorite pipe

I came up with this as a "wedding cocktail" for my wife's cousin and his wife, Kyoko.
She is from Japan, so I wanted an "Asian" inspired cocktail for the guests.

Here's my contribution:
The "Kyoko"Cocktail
3 oz. Grey Goose La Poire
1 oz. Domain de Canton Ginger Liqueur
Splash of leeche juice
Shake with ice and strain
Spear leeche fruit & candied ginger as garnish.

It was a huge hit. If you try it, let me know what you think of my creation! :mrgreen:

Okay, an eponymous aperitif, vainly named after it's originator. ;)

The Gregorio

I had one last night, and it was delightful. Seems like a good enough reason to re-open this thread. I might just have one tonight, too.

Enjoy!

glpease":h71o4mww said:
Okay, an eponymous aperitif, vainly named after it's originator. ;)

The Gregorio

I had one last night, and it was delightful. Seems like a good enough reason to re-open this thread. I might just have one tonight, too.

Enjoy!

Sounds great. :D