Driving through Portland, Oregon.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I first saw one of these maybe a month ago and didn’t really like it...didn’t think it really showed anything of what the City really looked like. Then, of course, since I had watched one the software started to feed more to my home page on uTube. I opened this one today and thought it really did remind me of driving around. I had just today been over some of these same streets , taking my adult daughter to the doctor.

Check it out. I assume there are more of these available via the uTube search thing.

Portland...mostly freeways...in the Summer...

https://youtu.be/aTNiS6DgLA4

I'm well familiar with much of those exact roads, having been in Portland some dozens of times with various breweries over the years. Recognize many street names, landmarks, etc.

So now whenever I get homesick for the Pac NW I can always watch this. Thanks for posting!

Cheers,

RR

I passed through once years ago but don't remember it, as I was stretched out in the back of a cargo van recovering from dust pneumonia picked up on the Alcan. Looks somewhat like Rochester. Bigger. Hillier. And pines, pines everywhere. And I got the west coast vibe.

Very few Pines (except landscaping).  Most all conifers are Douglas Fir...some Hemlock as well.

Sidebar: The local mills saw the timber they receive into lumber and the species designation is “Hem-Fir” as they are so alike in construction characteristics and probably separated by loggers or sawyers. If you bought a hundred 2”x4”x8’ pieces even graded standard and better you would likely get 80 pieces of Doug Fir and 20 of Hemlock. All would be stamped Hem-Fir. (Ratio is not exact, used for example).

And I’ve been through Rochester (in the Spring) and don’t think the two cities are even slightly alike.  But that’s just me. Like you I didn’t see much. Lotta standing water.

Metro Urban Population...Rochester. about a million...Portland, a little under two and a half million.

At about 2,700 miles apart, they are both great cities.

Like most NY cities, Rochester sucks, I don't live there, rarely go there, and carry when I do. The Finger Lakes area, on the other hand, is great. A "pine" tree to me is one of those triangular things that grows out of the ground and doesn't have leaves. I stand corrected. And cities all look alike to me when viewed from the concrete that flows through them. I've spent too much time doing just that, and it's had its effect.  ;)

Actually looks like a place I could deal with. It doesn't have that vibe places like LA and NYC have that just stress me out no end. Last trip into NYC caused so much stress I blew a gusher of a nose bleed. Nothing like walking around the city looking like an ax murderer Lol.

Jim

The thing about these various vids is that they show the city from just the perspective of driving down the Freeways. While just behind or to the side of the guy taking the movie there are neighborhoods, suburbs, tree lined streets, parks, mom-n-pop stores, schools, restaurants, strip malls, rivers, bridges, etc., etc., etc. You know...Portland. It gives you just a sip of the river. So if you think the sip is tasty...the whole she-bang is gonna be excellent.

Blackhorse":gmxj1qw3 said:
The thing about these various vids is that they show the city from just the perspective of driving down the Freeways. While just behind or to the side of the guy taking the movie there are neighborhoods, suburbs, tree lined streets, parks, mom-n-pop stores, schools, restaurants, strip malls, rivers, bridges, etc., etc., etc.  You know...Portland. It gives you just a sip of the river. So if you think the sip is tasty...the whole she-bang is gonna be excellent.
I know many of those exits on the first 3 min well, as I attended the OBF (Oregon Brewer's Fest) on the Willamette River for too many years to count, and stayed in hotels which were just off those exits. Those exits lead to the area just to the W/SW of the Willamette and were fertile grounds for many the craft beer pub.

The individual neighborhoods are tight knit and complete in themselves. A lot of neighborhood pride and loyalty. Too many stories to tell, too may brain cells lost.............

Driving over the freeway flyovers, sighting the Iron Bridge, etc are indelibly etched on my memory. Way great city, Portland.

8)

Cheers,

RR

Doesn't look anything like the Portland I remember as a child in 1958. :no:
But I reckon all good things must come to an end. :fpalm: