Driving to Alaska

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonA3597

Reaction score
I've wanted to drive to Alsaka since I was a kid and read about the military building the Al-Can Highway during WW II. Well, time, money, and a buddy to share the drive have come together and we'll leave Atlanta in mid-May, plan to be back mid-June.

Has anyone made the drive? I'm asking particularly about the Canadian part, as I know little about Canada. I have the Alaska route planned - Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage, Homer, Seward. Any thoughts or suggestions about Canada or Alaska will be appreciated - lodging, sights to see, restaurants, etc.

I rode a motorcycle from Tennessee to Fairbanks ( and back) in the 90's. I had a great time.

Get a copy of Mileposts. I found it to be a great resource.

The flies and mosquitos are significantly worse than they tell you. I was camping and so just dealt with them. The locals seem to favor smudge pots to run them off.

Alaska is on its own schedule really. You can't be too OCD about sticking to a schedule. If you stop having fun, it is probably because you are pushing the pace.

Fr_Tom":ad2v0bwe said:
Get a copy of Mileposts. I found it to be a great resource.
The flies and mosquitos are significantly worse than they tell you.
Ditto. Once you cross the plains it'll be awesome. "We hunt deer with the mosquitos" was a knee-slapper I heard when I was there. I wish you clear skies. Otherwise, like me, you won't get to see Denali (Mt. McKinley) even when standing next to it, so to speak.

RonA3597":23bgohsy said:
I've wanted to drive to Alsaka since I was a kid and read about the military building the Al-Can Highway during WW II.  Well, time, money, and a buddy to share the drive have come together and we'll leave Atlanta in mid-May, plan to be back mid-June.

Has anyone made the drive?  I'm asking particularly about the Canadian part, as I know little about Canada.  I have the Alaska route planned - Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage, Homer, Seward.   Any thoughts or suggestions about Canada or Alaska will be appreciated - lodging, sights to see, restaurants, etc.
Sounds like you're doin' some "bucket list" stuff !! Have fun and remember keep it rubber side down on the road !! :) :)

Thanks for the input. I have the Mile Post in hand, first thing I bought after my buddy said he would make the trip. Next to check my car and health insurance policies.

That is awesome, its' been on my bucket-list for a long time. Definitely post some pictures enroute or on the return.

Sounds like a great adventure!

Just be aware of the critters that can cross the road. I have a friend that did this on his bike (motorcycle) and hit a Moose doing about 60 mph. Put him in hospital and wrecked the bike. He's lucky it didn't eff him up a lot worse!

Cheers,

RR

Everyone I've talked with said do not drive at night, that you can't see a moose until it's coming up on the hood.