Dublin Pipe Gone Wrong

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reminds me of an M.G.M. I had, which I believe is a Gasparini second. Meh, I don't care for short-shanked pipes. Nice save, though. Having the patience of a three-year-old, I would have tossed it.

Very nice pipe overall. Looks good enough to smoke.

For those blocks that have last minute faults, pits, etc ... why not consider a carved or sandblast finish?

tslots":ny6dschw said:
Very nice pipe overall.   Looks good enough to smoke.  

For those blocks that have last minute faults, pits, etc ... why not consider a carved or sandblast finish?
Thank you sirs!
For small pits I just ignore them, for a family of them I do consider rustication or blast but, blast costs me see'en I haven't a blast cabinet yet (next on list). For the pits that were in this pipe, they were just too deep, maybe an 1/8" and to do any of the before mentioned I'd be afraid of making it worse. In other words not being able to hide them and opening a whole other can of worms, so filling was the better option in my opinion. Most carvers would have tossed it and gone to a new block. I on the other hand can't and won't afford it, "Waste not Want not!" Besides, I put a lot of work into to it already and didn't want to go for not.
I don't throw ANYTHING away around here until it proves to me it can't be fixed. My parents lived though the depression and beat that into me and, that's a Good thing. Gees, that was a long answer for such a short question, wasn't it. Sure hope it explain something. ;)

Cartaphilus":kgfmyuzp said:
Crafty":kgfmyuzp said:
Looks good. You will be your worst critic. You worked through issues instead of tossing the block out the window and 90% of the people will see your "problems" as character and love it. I know I have made pipes that had "issues" that people loved. Remember a true artisan know how to work around problems, I think you managed that successfully.
Thank you sir , There's two reasons I don't toss them. One, I can't afford it and Two, I hate to give up on something that still has even a little potential, at least as a smoker. If my flaws are character this one's good enough for a comic strip.
I think early on it's probably good for practicing, too. Once you're good and doing it for money, it's probably not worth the time if it doesn't look like it'll be a nice pipe.

Cartaphilus":kgfmyuzp said:
Thomas Tkach":kgfmyuzp said:
You've just got to get your bamboo shank technique down for those blocks. Not bad at all!
Bamboo? No thank you, not really into bamboo. :no:
What about lilac?