Dublin suggestion?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlong

Reaction score
I'd really like a Dublin. Preferably around $75. I know of the dealers but I'm wondering about brand and make. Any suggestions?

Bent is what I had in mind. Otherwise I don't know the differences between english, danish, etc. Thanks for the link BTW.

There's just stylistic differences between English, Danish, Italian, etc maker's interpetations of the shape...there isn't really any standard or anything, so I was just wondering which sort of styles you lean towards.

Peterson, Stanwell & Savinelli all make some nice dublin shapes, or at least shapes that they call Dublins...lol. In your price range though you'd probably be looking at Petes or Savinellis, since Stanwells seem to have increased significantly in price recently from what I see.

Alternatively you can look for estate pipes and maybe find a good deal. A smattering of brands that I can think of off the top of my head where you might be able to find a decent dublin type shape and a deal in your price range (perhaps on a used/estate pipe) would be:

Barling, Comoy, GBD, Charatan, Ben Wade, BBB, Sasieni, Stanwell, Bjarne, Johs, Nording, WO Larsen, Savinelli, Luciano, Peterson.

I've seen pipes from all of these guys go for $75 or so. It might take some patience and alot of searching though. You could also try just calling up one of the estate dealers such as pulver's briar or briarblues and tell them what your looking for. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to try to help you out.

Thanks for the tips. I've done searches including some estates. Stanwell looks like a good choice.

Sadly, the ideal Dublin came up at $1550! :affraid:

Dang! I forgot about Smoking Pipes!! Got some Stannys from them. They got a sea of Dublins I see.

The Pete looks like a good choice. They got other Petes I like too. Don't own any Petes (yet). Looks like I'll have to bite the bullit on this but lunches aren't free.

Kyle, your rusticated brandy looks like a comfy hold (and good smoker of course).

I wonder how ole Frenchy's doing. He's missed. Damn that guy cracked me up.

sstodvictory":lv86ptin said:
Kurt Huhn has a bent Dubliln available. Its half again higher cost than you wanted to pay. I have purchased several pipes from his Countryman Line and have been pleased with them.

http://www.pipecrafter.com/

Steve
I was going to mention that same pipe, but noticed it had sold.

Milan":9jsngdjp said:
sstodvictory":9jsngdjp said:
Kurt Huhn has a bent Dubliln available. Its half again higher cost than you wanted to pay. I have purchased several pipes from his Countryman Line and have been pleased with them.

http://www.pipecrafter.com/

Steve
I was going to mention that same pipe, but noticed it had sold.
I had not noticed that, and I apologize, jlong, for raising the false alarm!

Steve

That's quite allright. Kurt's got some other neat pipes worth a good looky. Owning a hand carved might get me the dignity and respect I deserve but can't seem to get.

:king:

sstodvictory":8fdg3q0w said:
Warning, shameless self-serving plug because its my pipe, but being that its a bent Dublin, I'd feel irresponsible not saying anything. It probably will go higher than $75 though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180764161499

Steve
Quite alright. Pretty much the shape I want and looks to be good for burning flakes.

Oh, come on fellas. We all know that if you want a proper Dublin, it MUST be a Peterson's. I mean, how much more Irish can you get?

002.jpg

The bottom one is a Millenium 1988; large, with a massive P-lip - a real handfull and mouthfull. Sterling band, of course. The middle one is a Galway, shape #120, also with a P-lip and Sterling band; a nice comfortable smoke. The top Dublin is, alas, not a Peterson's, but is marked Arlington, also with a Sterling band - Arlington was an American manufacturer and made pipes for, among others, Jobey and Wilke. This pipe was gifted to me by William W. Headrick, sporting photographer extraordinaire, after I noticed it accompanying an image of a wonderful A.H. Fox 20 gauge in an issue of the Double Gun Journal. Sorry; I neglected to show that about 75% of the bowl is covered with as nice a birdseye pattern as you're likely to see.

Those are nice Petes, but i think the OP indicated he wants a bent. Peterson does make at least one bent dublin shape that i like alot though...cant recall the shape number off the top of my head. If you think you might like the P lip or dont mind a fishtail bit as thick as your thumb (exagerated for effect obviously), then you could almost certainly find a nice pete in your price range that would prolly treat you right.

Thanks guys. You've provided lots of great stuff to ponder. Just have to make a choice.

Oops; sorry! Missed the bent part!
That's quite alright. I failed to mention bent in my first post. Thanks for posting. Those are nice Petes.