Dunhill 1959 Bruyere

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
monbla256":ddjdt3ng said:
Nothing some super glue won't fix ! :twisted: :twisted:
Heh, I'm sure in the hands of a good restorer this pipe could be salvaged. But at $225 for an opener I doubt it ever will be.

Wow. That's sad. Such a great pipe. With my limited knowledge, I wouldn't take the pipe at any price. Do some of the more experienced at restoration reading this think it could be saved? Just curious.

Guys, look real hard ... there's a tiny fissure in the bowl in one of the pics!

:suspect:

I don't think it can be saved, I mean, I guess it depends on what you think "saved" would mean, but for that pipe to look like that on the outside, I can only imagine the inside. I'm sure it's space-shuttle-launchpad toasted in there.

But yes, someone will buy it, put a hose-clamp on the bowl and smoke it because it's a Dunhill. Just hope they don't pay the BIN. :affraid:

Sasquatch":0irqggmj said:
Guys, look real hard ... there's a tiny fissure in the bowl in one of the pics!  

:suspect:

I don't think it can be saved, I mean, I guess it depends on what you think "saved" would mean, but for that pipe to look like that on the outside, I can only imagine the inside.   I'm sure it's space-shuttle-launchpad toasted in there.  

But yes, someone will buy it, put a hose-clamp on the bowl and smoke it because it's a Dunhill.  Just hope they don't pay the BIN.  :affraid:
Yea, I think we got that. ;) But if you did clamp it how much would you have to sand the clamp till you couldn't see it? :suspect:

Is it worth ten bucks plus shipping? Again, I wouldn't pay it but am curious about others' opinions.

Richard Burley":0pprtobq said:
Is it worth ten bucks plus shipping? Again, I wouldn't pay it but am curious about others' opinions.
I'd pay $10 just to see if someone could fix it. You could probably inject some epoxy or something into the fissure, but you'd have to refinish the whole pipe. So it'd cost a bit to do it right. Is a lovely pipe though.

That's painful damage to look at!

Could it be repaired? Sure. I've seen it done with bowls in worse shape - JB Weld on the inside, CA glue and briar dust on the outside. Complete refinish, of course.

It would be functional, and maybe even look close to factory, depending on the skill/luck of the restorer. But I doubt it would be worth the purchase price after restoration. Collector's value would be in the pooper. You could say you own a Dunhill, though!

Yeah, there ain't much you'll be able to do with that cracked bowl. If you're hard-core you could have a metal band fitted around the bowl, but for $225 you could do way better methinks

Seller "mrdunhill" has some nice offerings, that isn't one of them...

s-l1600.jpg

Gotta love "eBay Seller Speak" - that Savinelli listing says "shows signs of use". :shock: :shock: :fpalm:

And oh, by the way, there's also a "small crack on the front".

Imagine the crap tornado (crapnado??) that would ensue if listings didn't have pictures......

We need Miracle Max for those pipes.

"It just so happens that your friend is only MOSTLY dead." :cheers:

skaukatt":ug9ayekf said:
I wonder if it was a case of overzealous reaming?
I can't imagine how this would happen with a reamer. The Sav pictured above is almost certainly a burnout. The cross-shaped crack on the Dunhill is probably a stress fracture caused by smoking too hot - the crack seems to originate just over the draft hole in the chamber (ie at the bowl/shank junction) where the heat would be concentrated as the smoke funnels in to the stem.

Poor pipe management/technique in both cases, IMHO. A shame, as they're both nice pipes.

eklektos44":l5dbys7m said:
Richard Burley":l5dbys7m said:
I'd pay $10 just to see if someone could fix it. You could probably inject some epoxy or something into the fissure, but you'd have to refinish the whole pipe. So it'd cost a bit to do it right. Is a lovely pipe though.
I offered $10 which was rejected.

I then went totally crazy and offered $10.01 but this was also not good enough. So, now he /she can stick the bloody thing. I don't want it any more.