Dunhill 60s Root

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roqsan

Reaction score

Found this on ebay and had to get it, my excuse being that I currently have only 13 dunhills which could be unlucky. Its a 35 F/T group 3, 1964 in nearly mint condition (after a little clean & polish). I much prefer these pre 4 figure number Dunhills that were made before 1975 to the newer ones. This is just the size I like for med/strong flake and Just loaded it up with Germain's Brown Flake for really excellent first smoke.

There is nothing quite like a vintage Dunhill. I admire your discerning taste! Well done. 14 dunnies? When will number 15 arrive?

RobT":58x87ri5 said:
There is nothing quite like a vintage Dunhill. I admire your discerning taste! Well done. 14 dunnies? When will number 15 arrive?
Well, I'll just have to think of another good excuse :)

Roqsan":l7cc8r7k said:
RobT":l7cc8r7k said:
Good luck with that and let me know if you come up with some good excuses. I've got 19 dunnies from 1912-1975 and I ran out of excuses a long time ago. Now I just ask for forgiveness when a box arrives. :|

dbreazeale":og4d4gfc said:
Roqsan":og4d4gfc said:
RobT":og4d4gfc said:
Good luck with that and let me know if you come up with some good excuses. I've got 19 dunnies from 1912-1975 and I ran out of excuses a long time ago. Now I just ask for forgiveness when a box arrives. :|
Would be great to see some pics of your early Dunhills. I think Dunhill started producing pipes in 1910 so a 1912 one would be a really early example and presumably wouldn't yet have a white spot (1915 I think).

Roqsan":0k4h2co9 said:
dbreazeale":0k4h2co9 said:
Roqsan":0k4h2co9 said:
RobT":0k4h2co9 said:
Would be great to see some pics of your early Dunhills. I think Dunhill started producing pipes in 1910 so a 1912 one would be a really early example and presumably wouldn't yet have a white spot (1915 I think).
It does indeed have a spot, although very small and it's not white anymore. It was my grandfathers' and passed down to me. A shape #3 bruyere with the duke st. stamping and pat. no 5681

dunhill1917.jpg

That's not the original box for it. There was a 1942 Root apple in that.

dbreazeale":c2lb0rwh said:
It does indeed have a spot, although very small and it's not white anymore. It was my grandfathers' and passed down to me. A shape #3 bruyere with the duke st. stamping and pat. no 5681
That's a really nice looking pipe, looks like a good smoking shape too. You could just look at that without reading the markings and guess it was a Dunhill.

Surprise about the white spot - legend has it that was added a bit later, according to a book I have. I think the early spots were ivory, so I guess that would explain why after 100 odd years it might have discoloured somewhat.

It is in really good nic!

One sentence!!!!!
You simply cannot go wrong with a 60's dunnie!!!!!
Brilliant!!

Piet Binsbergen":ttj177ue said:
It is in really good nic!
Yes! One of my luckier finds on ebay - was very poorly photographed, but I had a feeling about it. The owners story was that his dad bought it to help give up cigs, but instead gave up the pipe after a single afternoon and stuffed it in a draw.

This pipe would easily satisfy two of my loves in life: the 60's and Dunhill's. Great find!

Very nice!
I would love to have one, but don't know enough about them to jump in looking for one as if I found it I wouldn't know it, LOL!

Skip