DUNHILL 965

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantiff49

Reaction score
can anyone tell me about dunhill 965.just the best you can i am curantly smoking aro's but im looking to experement.latetly the aros just dont seem to be doing it for me.love mclellands best of show.but like is said looking for something different...thanks..Dan

If you want a heavier, more robust smoke than an aro, just a titch of sweetness (and a wee titch at that) and some smokey Latakia you might just like it--it's a go-to for many fellas. Pick up a tin and try it out. That's the only way you'll know for sure.

8)

Different strokes I guess. I find 965 to be pretty strong tasting, almost a little acrid, not at all a crossover blend for an aromatic smoker. I'd suggest Mcranie's Murdock's Pipe or MacBaren Solent Mixture as good crossover blends - English blends with slightly aromatic properties. If you want to try a Dunhill English blend to see if you like it, Early Morning Pipe is not nearly so strong.

Having smoked 965 for several decades I'd have to say that it is what one could call one of the "benchmark" English blends though it has gone thru a few different blenders over the years. It is a very full, strong smoky tasting English blend and you might want to try something a bit on the milder side from Dunhill such as their London mixture or Early Morning Pipe first. Since you are currently smoking Aro's I might suggest that you give McClelland's Fragrant Matured 2000 a try as it is a nice full flavored ( NOT STRONG) all Va broken flake which has a nice sweetness to it and the room aroma is far more acceptable to others than 965's :p But if ya want to give it a try, pick up a tin and go for it :p

Good advice from the previous posts. I'm a MM965 fan and always have an open tin. There's nothing quite like it (well, Chief Cantoonah's Princes Street Mixture is pretty close). Just the right amount of latakia for me.

Personally, MM965 didn't do a lot for me. Might have been the hub of the pipe party at the Tinder Box that distracted me (I didn't review that one on here for that reason).

Perhaps it's a good time to suggest Frog Morton?

MM965 is a mixture I always have on hand, as well as many others on here.

In your case, as a crossover-blend, I would suggest Early Morning Pipe or Frog Morton on the Town. Even the original Frog Morton isn't too bad, and would kind of ease you into the world of English Blends.

I don't agree Early Morning Pipe as a good crossover mixture. It's not wicked-strong in any area, but it can really show a nasty disposition with the wrong pipe, a dirty pipe or poor smoking habits, and it isn't an easy one to figure out. Unless I knew someone had a lighter Rattray's blend or two (Black Mallory, Brown Clunee), maybe got a few lighter GL Pease mixtures (Picadilly, Union Square, Blackpoint) and could say for sure, I reserve that one until later.

Frog Morton original, on the other hand, will certainly tell a smoker if Latakia is for him, and from there, other English stuff. Just a hint of sweetness to carry the idea without being an aro or an English.

As for a more Virginia-type experience, Monbla said it: McClelland Fragrant Mature Cake 2000 is fine product. Sweet with a good strength--lighting and packing it is a bit tricky, to be fair.

8)

From what people I pretty much trust say, Chelsea Morning.

:face:

:cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat:

Yak":t4lgttde said:
From what people I pretty much trust say, Chelsea Morning.

:face:

:cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat: :cat:
Yep, Meridian is also a favorite, with no perique.

+1 on Frog Morton (tinned) or MC Dark English Full (bulk). DEF is similar to FM but a little less smooth.

monbla256":wagnd28t said:
Having smoked 965 for several decades I'd have to say that it is what one could call one of the "benchmark" English blends though it has gone thru a few different blenders over the years. It is a very full, strong smoky tasting English blend and you might want to try something a bit on the milder side from Dunhill such as their London mixture or Early Morning Pipe first. Since you are currently smoking Aro's I might suggest that you give McClelland's Fragrant Matured 2000 a try as it is a nice full flavored ( NOT STRONG) all Va broken flake which has a nice sweetness to it and the room aroma is far more acceptable to others than 965's :p But if ya want to give it a try, pick up a tin and go for it :p
Never tried 965 however I plan too.. But I can say I really like Early Morning Pipe as well as Rattray's Red Rapparee for a mild English. The wife even commented on the room note of the Red Rapparee and being a former smoker she's never had a good comment prior to that....

Enjoy,

Gary

Since you like the McClellands blend, I would think Frog Morton would be a gentle intro to English blends since it has that common underlying sweet taste which most McCllelands blends have and is somewhat aromatic. If you want to try a classic introductory English blend, I would recommend Early Morning Pipe over 965. The aroma of EMP reminds me of a cold autumn night, with dry oak leaves on the ground and fireplaces burning in the distance. Very nostalgic if you grew up in the Northeast.

All that said, my very first English blend was Dunhill Nitecap, a very heavy and potent blend, and I really enjoyed it from the start. I do consider 965 to be the benchmark of English blends, however, and I have always had some on hand for nearly 20 years.

I have a tobacco hoard stocked with 965 (some of it marking its 12th b'day) and might fairly be said to dote upon it. I have three pipes dedicated to 965/EMP. Now that my credentials for non-bias are established, let me say that many new pipesters are introed to cheap aros, come to believe that tobacco is supposed to smell good and taste terrible, but later find 965 and utter the famous pipester line, "Oh, THIS is what pipe tobacco is supposed to taste like."

If you currently smoke aromatics, and you want to get your feet wet with a latakia blend, I can think of no better way to begin than with Shortcut to Mushrooms from Just for Him.

Sillem's Black is another good choice. It's got more latakia than STM, but its also aromatic where the cavendish in STM is unsweetened.

If you want a medium or heavy latakia blend (but without the aromatic agent in Black), the most flavorful I've ever enjoyed are G.L. Pease Odyssey and Ashton Artisans Blend.

I can't recommend 965 as I find it to be a bit uninteresting IMO. It has none of the compexity of Odyssey, lacks the smooth sweetness of STM or Black, and fails to demonstrate a pleasant balance of these characteristics like Artisan Blend.

Used to enjoy heavy Lat blends like 965 back around '01. These days not so much.

Tastes change, and perhaps I'll come back around to it and others of it's ilk.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":yaiofv12 said:
Used to enjoy heavy Lat blends like 965 back around '01. These days not so much.

Tastes change, and perhaps I'll come back around to it and others of it's ilk.

Cheers,

RR

Me too. 965 was the first blend I smoked.
I loved anything Latakia. Then after a couple
of years it faded. I'm hoping it returns.
If not, I got a lotta stuff to trade. :lol:

Dan, if you're looking for a cross over and haven't found it yet, check into Iwan Ries blend called International. Loaded with latakia and contains burley and turkish. Full flavored, smoky and spicy but still some nice sweetness too.

Dunhill MM965 is a favorite "English/Scottish" blend. I also like Altadis 965 match. I'm told that McClelland makes a good smoke-a-like too.