Dunhill Elizabethen Mixture.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

str8razor

Reaction score
So I was given appx 20 tins from a friend who has appx 300 tins cellared (Amazing I know). I had heard from quite a few people that this blend was to be discontinued in the near future if it hasnt already. Anyone give me a deffinate??

Yep, you heard right. Elizabethan was not one of the blends resurrected when Dunhill came back. The tins you have are pretty special. Hang on to them.

I am one of the few who really liked Elizabethan Mixture. It was never one of their more sought after blends. Peterson Irish Oak is similar, so I´ll smoke that when I´m in the mood.

Enjoy!!

Hey thanks man I appreciate it. I cant understand why this wasnt a more popular tobacco. I have to say that I was impressed with it to say the least. I had sworn off all tobaccos but a select few once I started smoking C&D's blends but this one is my new favorite. They have been in his cellar since 2001 I think he said and I plan on keepin them in mine for atleast another 5. Who knows may even do a little gifting if I get the notion.

MisterE":y9oab8dl said:
Yep, you heard right. Elizabethan was not one of the blends resurrected when Dunhill came back. The tins you have are pretty special. Hang on to them.

I am one of the few who really liked Elizabethan Mixture. It was never one of their more sought after blends. Peterson Irish Oak is similar, so I´ll smoke that when I´m in the mood.

Enjoy!!

I used to smoke this fairly frequently and would love to try it again sometime. For now, though, GLP Starford is a very close match.

Yep very good stuff. I dont know why they stopped making it guess it wasn't a big sellar. I have alot of most of the dunhill blends nothing newer then 08 most of mine is also older. So if your ever up for a trade let me know. Enjoy the EM.

KevinP":vk1wpugh said:
I used to smoke this fairly frequently and would love to try it again sometime. For now, though, GLP Starford is a very close match.

High praise indeed - Stratford is one of the Dark Lord's finest...

Let's say that Elizabethan Mixture was not one of the offerings chosen for resurrection first off the bat. I believe that, if the new Dunhills do well commercially, further mixtures will be brought back, including EM.

Having said that, there are so many Virginia-and-Périque mixtures in the market today! Many of which are far better than EM, let's be frank.

My favourite is SOLANI 633 VIRGINIA FLAKE WITH PERIQUE.

Kapnismologist":pele62it said:
It was removed from the Dunhill portfolio when Murray's closed in late 2004.
Not quite. BAT pruned their Dunhill pipe tobacco line by manufacture discontinuing a bunch in early 2007. So all of the Murray made blends were part of the line when Orlik started manufacturing under contract in early 2006. Murray's was closed in summer 2005. Whether it was old Murray's stock tinned by Orlik is hard to tell. Among the ones pruned at that time (2007) were Aperitif, Durbar, Three Year Matured, Eliz Mix, and maybe another that I can't remember offhand.

Dunhill actually discontinued Aperitif, Durbar, and Three Year Matured in the late 70's and in the early 80's they did not reappear out of Belfast. In the dieing days of Rothman's ownership (fall 1999) the three of them suddenly returned. Maybe it was a parting gift, but 8 years later they were gone again.

Will they return? The market is different now, esp in the US, but this is BAT we're talking about. They have no strategic interest in pipe tobacco. In their 2007 annual report BAT characterized the sale of a large number of pipe tobacco TM's to STG/Orlik as 'disposal'. That was their word. I think the line will stay as is.

And yes, there are better Va/Per than the late EM. We're overrun with Va/Per blends today. It was never like this is the past. When Dunhill Tobacco was making it in the 70's it was wonderful but that's long gone.

Rusty,
Thanks for the clarification and history lesson. Very interesting indeed.