Dunhill Flake?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zjgilbert

Reaction score
So I'm curious what your all's thoughts are on the Dunhill Flake. A friend picked up a tin and allowed me to give it a try, but my tongue was so scorched from heavy smoke sessions that I really couldn't taste anything. I picked up a tin of it for my dad for Father's Day. Think it will make a good gift? The only tobaccos he's really familiar with are aromatics, but he said he's wanting to step out of that realm.

I think it'll make a fine gift. Sweet but not too sweet. Unless he's a nic freak like myself it'll do a good job for him.

I found it to be v much a one note kind of smoke. I rather liked the one note, but wasn't thrilled. I think it's a solid intro into the genre

DrT999":n6v8pkcj said:
I found it to be v much a one note kind of smoke. I rather liked the one note, but wasn't thrilled. I think it's a solid intro into the genre
Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. I've heard some other good things about it, but those that had anything negative to say it was only that it was one dimensional. That's kinda got me wondering though if it's something he'll enjoy. Oh well, if he doesn't it's the thought that really counts I suppose :)

Dunhill Flake is a very good, although not complex, straight virginia blend. There are better virginia flakes but this one deserves a try. Perfect for discovering if you like virginia pipe tobacco. If your dad has never smoked flake before it might not be a good idea. It takes a lot of practice to figure out how to properly smoke flakes.

I like it. One of the more "lemony" of the straight Virginia Flakes to me. It's not an overly complicated smoke. There's very little not to like and generally seems to give good first impressions.

Gift it! :cheers:

I agree with the majority of the comments posted on Dunhill Flake...as it is currently (last 15 years) manufactured. However, back in the late 1950's -mid 70's it was a bit different. Not overly complex but quite a good Virginia flake, similar to other British flakes minus the heavy floral/soap scents.

The small tin it was packaged in was just right to carry in your pocket and was available everywhere in Europe. While I prefered a stronger Virginia, I smoked my fair share of this flake and it provided a nice break in between the other tobaccos I smoked.

Great Fathers Day gift I think!

...a pipe is to be savored...