Dunhill Mix 965 - To Smoke or Not To Smoke

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SocWorkerSmoker

Reaction score
Hello All

I was at my local tobacconist today picking up some of the great recommendations everyone made for my 'Nighttime English Blend' post when I noticed tucked away in the far reaches where three tins of Dunhill Mixture 965. After reading so many reviews of the blend I knew I had to get them. Now, seeing that I am relatively new to pipes I have not had the pleasure of smoking any Dunhill tobaccos. So, here is my conundrum, do I store the tins away or do I break one open? Does this blend get better with age? I picked up enough other tobaccos to last me for a long while.

As a side note, based on the recommendations everyone made from my post on Nighttime English Blends I got Squadron Leader, Pelican, Cooper (got that one at smokingpipes.com), Abingdon, and Westminster. I just found out that I am not getting laid off so I had money to burn.

Cheers
Joshua

SocWorkerSmoker":w27txp7d said:
Hello All

I was at my local tobacconist today picking up some of the great recommendations everyone made for my 'Nighttime English Blend' post when I noticed tucked away in the far reaches where three tins of Dunhill Mixture 965. After reading so many reviews of the blend I knew I had to get them. Now, seeing that I am relatively new to pipes I have not had the pleasure of smoking any Dunhill tobaccos. So, here is my conundrum, do I store the tins away or do I break one open? Does this blend get better with age? I picked up enough other tobaccos to last me for a long while.

As a side note, based on the recommendations everyone made from my post on Nighttime English Blends I got Squadron Leader, Pelican, Cooper (got that one at smokingpipes.com), Abingdon, and Westminster. I just found out that I am not getting laid off so I had money to burn.

Cheers
Joshua
Joshua,

Were it mine to decide, I'd put two away for a rainy day and pop one tin to enjoy now, but that's me. Depending on whether what you have in your hands is Murray's or Euro version it could also be quite valuable on the exchange market on fleabay.

965 ages VERY WELL! Some of us are in the same conundrum, but having had the pleasure of 965 for many years, and witnessing its steady decline in quality, you are also sitting on a small gold mine!

:pipe:

All three tins are the EU version. I gather that is not as good quality as the Murray's? I have tried to figure out how to date the tins but have not figured it out yet.

What would be some equivalent tasting tobaccos, if there are any? I was very surprised to find the tins there considering the tobacconist gets a fair amount of traffic. I guess I was just at the right place at the right time (and also willing to look in the corners!).

Cheers
Joshua

You know... I would just smoke em. In my humble opinion, 965 is no better than any other offering currently available - Astley's Royal Tudor comes to mind is being similar, for example. Are they identical? Nah.

But there are SO many tobaccos out there right now that are SO good - Pease, McClelland, the Low Country stuff, Butera, Gawith... like, in my mind the recent Dunhill tobacs just don't even rate.

Stick it away if that's fun for you, and yes, it will improve some, but gosh, don't be surprised if when you smoke it you think "Well, I've had lots of better tobaccos than this."

I have no personal experience with the Euro version as I'd already found better (to me anyway) mixtures elsewhere. That said, I have a very small Murray's production stash that I'm saving for a rainy day in the coming years.

By the way, the same tobacconist had a couple of tins of Aperitif but they were expensive, $20 each after tax. Worth it?

I say smoke one, store two. But don't deprive yourself of it. The only moment we are gauranteed is the one that just passed. So enjoy life. Then buy some Maltese Falcon!

Smoke one and cellar two. If you like the tin that you open, you will have two more to enjoy. If for some reason you don't care for it after its open, you will have two tins that will be desired by many smokers and you will stand to make a profit or have good leverage for a trade.

LtMac

I was/am in the same boat. Bought a number of Dunhill tins and couldnt decide between smoking and selling. So im gonna cellar um and choose later. Thats how I avoided making that choice. :tongue:

Hmmm... I would say, smoke one, cellar two, for the same reasons stated others.

You could try Peterson's "Old Dublin", slightly similar to 965 but of course, not hte same, but by the same token, it would help you decide if you would like to try 965 or save or sell it later.

Smoke as much of it as you want. Smoking one and cellaring two is a good idea, if you're into the whole cellar thing. 965 is very good, especially with a milkshake, and if you've never had it, you have no real reason not to pop one tin now and dive in.

LtMac":h1h4fhht said:
Smoke one and cellar two. If you like the tin that you open, you will have two more to enjoy. If for some reason you don't care for it after its open, you will have two tins that will be desired by many smokers and you will stand to make a profit or have good leverage for a trade.
Good advice. Decide quickly if you don't like them, though--Dunhill supposedly is trickling back into the US market come late this month or sometime next. Most of the Dunhill tins I've seen people trying to sell are Nightcap and EMP, and in sleeves of 5. So you might find at least one person to buy the two from you.

I'd say smoke one and see if you like it. If yes, then cellar the other 2 for the future, 965 keeps getting better with time. If no, then you can likely make a nice profit on Ebay. Being the EU version you might need to wait, and if they do start distributing in the USA again then you don't have too much invested. You don't really have enough to put it in regular smoking rotation so if it was me I'd wait at least 5 years to crack the next tin and another 5 for the 3rd, that way you have a real treat when the time comes. I have about 60 assorted tins of Dunhill, about half Murray and the rest EU that was purchased as part of my regular cellaring process, hidden away for a rainy day. I also have a good bit of the bulk 965 jarred up and am smoking it in my rotation. The bulk is slightly different from the tins but not a bad smoke either and each jar I crack is a little bit better.

PS Sorry LtMac, I somehow skipped your post. Knew it sounded like a good idea, especially the 2nd time. :cheers: