Dunhill My Mixture equivalents?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swhipple

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get some guidance in my tobacco shopping. I've recently discovered Dunhill's My Mixture 965 and I really enjoy the flavor I get from it and I was wondering if the brotherhood can recommend other blends that may be similar? Thank you in advance for your help.

Peterson Old Dublin is similar. I actually prefer it to 965. Squadron Leader is in the same league, but not quite so sweet.

swhipple":jckflfp1 said:
I'm hoping to get some guidance in my tobacco shopping. I've recently discovered Dunhill's My Mixture 965 and I really enjoy the flavor I get from it and I was wondering if the brotherhood can recommend other blends that may be similar? Thank you in advance for your help.
Being as 965 is one of the "classic" full bodied English type of blends there are not really many that I've found over the 30+ years I smoked it that replicate it's qualities. I've smoked pre-Murray's, Murray's and the new Orlik version and ALL are unique enough from so many others that it would be hard to find one that would be "it". It's just a case that the "original" is just that, THE original :twisted: It's not as expensive as it used to be so for me, I'd just smoke it and enjoy it's uniqueness :twisted:

I still haven't tried Pete's "Old Dublin" on the assumption it might be too sweet...

...be honest, how bad is it? :lol:

:heart:,

The Sweet-o-phobe Weiss

There's also a bulk match by McC called "Nine to Five 925" at P&C.

Never tried it. It's cheap though.

I've tried the McClelland 925 and it is close, but no cigar. Member Lestrout always brings some MM965 matches for me to try, because he knows that is my favorite blend. But, I've yet to find a suitable substitute. Cigars International sells the 50 gram tin for $9, so I just stock up.

Old Dublin was a blend I tried early on and hated it (tin smell made me sick). I jarred it for a year, revisited with the same result. I gave it to Les, who loves it and thinks I'm daft.... Maybe I'll have to give it another whirl.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. You've given me a couple to try.

I wasn't really looking for cheaper, just similar but different if that makes sense.

I've been hitting the buy 2 get 1 free at P&C for all it's worth to stock up on the original.

DrumsAndBeer":2mg3fma5 said:
Check out B&B Tobacconist's "Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard." It's blended to be a 965 Match.

I like it far better than the current Orlik offering.

http://www.4noggins.com/BandBTobacconistsBulkBECKSOLLIMEYBASTARD.aspx
You've piqued my curiosity good sir. I've been looking for a good reason to make a purchase from 4noggins. As if there weren't enough already. Thanks for the recommendation.

Trifecta13":b2yy2azs said:
You've piqued my curiosity good sir. I've been looking for a good reason to make a purchase from 4noggins. As if there weren't enough already. Thanks for the recommendation.
You bet! :D

Another 'match' is C&D's Tuggle Hall, coincidentally (hah!) numbered #965. It's supposed to be more like the Murray or maybe pre-Murray version, but to me it's its own animal. Seems more nic-heavy to me too.

hp
les

lestrout":mb3kisrk said:
Another 'match' is C&D's Tuggle Hall, coincidentally (hah!) numbered #965. It's supposed to be more like the Murray or maybe pre-Murray version, but to me it's its own animal. Seems more nic-heavy to me too.

hp
les
I agree with your assessment of Tuggle Hall. I do smoke it and it does give me an endorphin rush similar to what I used to get from the old MM965, but it's not the same- the 'cavendish' flavor is different, it lacks old 965's Dubec, and has loads of perique which MM965 did not.

But I do find C&D's Stratford Hall to be more 965-like, however.

Aristo - rather than Stratford Hall, maybe you are referring to #061 Stratfordshire? That is also one of my faves, especially first thing in the morning.

hp
les

lestrout":phah8lem said:
Aristo - rather than Stratford Hall, maybe you are referring to #061 Stratfordshire? That is also one of my faves, especially first thing in the morning.

hp
les
Yes, my error. You can tell I'm a Virginian transplant to Pittsburgh. Stratfordshire it is.