Dunhill pipe, with a piece of wood from the "Titanic"

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely cool, but only for the serious collector! :shock:

I wonder how long 'till one get's to Graig's List or the 'prey? :p

Maybe Savinelli should do a limited edition Costa Concordia pipe, complete with a bottle of wine and a chunk of granite...

Harlock999":5jc5opw7 said:
Maybe Savinelli should do a limited edition Costa Concordia pipe, complete with a bottle of wine and a chunk of granite...

+1 brilliant

Mmmhmm. Ever read A Night to Remember? A lot of the men passengers were standing around smoking as the Titanic sank. Women and children first, old boy. I wonder if anyone aboard the Carpathia (sp?) ever claimed to have rescued one of the first-class passenger's Dunhills, plucked from the cold waters of the Atlantic, during rescue ops? Probably not. Pre-Ebay.

Wonder what you'd smoke if you were an Edwardian gentleman that evening. Nightcap, mebbe.

KevinM":jynebmwn said:
Mmmhmm. Ever read A Night to Remember? A lot of the men passengers were standing around smoking as the Titanic sank. Women and children first, old boy. I wonder if anyone aboard the Carpathia (sp?) ever claimed to have rescued one of the first-class passenger's Dunhills, plucked from the cold waters of the Atlantic, during rescue ops? Probably not. Pre-Ebay.

Wonder what you'd smoke if you were an Edwardian gentleman that evening. Nightcap, mebbe.
He wouldn't have been smoking Nightcap back in 1912. It was not introduced as a blend till 1951! Mabe Durbar :p
Check this site out for just when Dunhill introduced their blends :)

http://loringpage.com/pipearticles/duntob1.htm

That's an interesting read Monbla. "Throgmorton" caught my eye. The similarly named Frogmorton was named after a village in Lord of the Rings, but the author, Prof. Tolkien, was quite a pipe smoker. Perhaps he named the village in honor of a tabac he fancied, and now it's come full-circle.

George Kaplan":e70v7q25 said:
That's an interesting read Monbla. "Throgmorton" caught my eye. The similarly named Frogmorton was named after a village in Lord of the Rings, but the author, Prof. Tolkien, was quite a pipe smoker. Perhaps he named the village in honor of a tabac he fancied, and now it's come full-circle.
That sure sounds likely! That site has several "pages" one of which lists ALL of Dunhill's blends and dates them in a nice chart form!! :p

Thanks very much, Monbla. That's an interesting and concise history of Dunhill tobacco. I haven't seen it before. I have a few tins of 12-year-old Durbar plus some of the other mixtures cited which I plan to smolder in my new Savs. When I begin to pop 'em I'll do so with all due Edwardian reverence. Thanks, again. Great stuff.

If it's made with a piece of wood from the Titanic can I assume it will smoke wet??? :face:

docwatson":tklaavsi said:
If it's made with a piece of wood from the Titanic can I assume it will smoke wet??? :face:
Only if you have some Durbar from 1912 :)

Yeah Monbla, that is an excellent piece of history there, Thanks for sharing that link..

The whole Frogmorton/ throgmorton is interesting.