dunhill tobacco suppliers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndySmoker

Reaction score
When I went to my B&M today hoping to pick up some Dunhill Flake and the owner said that he couldn't get it because the American supplier had pulled out of The States. Anyone else hear this? Is there any truth to this?

Dunhill is now distributed by I think General or Consolidated Cigar. My B&M has it all and should have an online shop in the next month.

I know nothing about the matter in question.

But I find it odd that something like this would be stated by someone in the busnines so soon after we just started receiving some of the bulk blends back.

I call bullshit.....

But I've been wrong hundreds of times.....

IndySmoker":8ve9wlgi said:
When I went to my B&M today hoping to pick up some Dunhill Flake and the owner said that he couldn't get it because the American supplier had pulled out of The States. Anyone else hear this? Is there any truth to this?
This was true a couple of years ago. Maybe his info is old.

gravel":xaf4k4pl said:
IndySmoker":xaf4k4pl said:
This was true a couple of years ago. Maybe his info is old.
Never picked back up when it came around again ....

Definitely possible.....

But I would hope that someone in the business of selling tobacco would be more on the up and up of things eh !

Let's hope then the culprit is misinformation rather than BS !

Dunhill Flake is available stateside easy. Three of my local B&Ms have it, and JR Cigar carries it. It's been available for perhaps a couple years now--I've cellared a few tins since it reappeared. I'm pretty sure I smoked a tin I'd marked purchased in 2010, but all the ones I've got now were purchased in summer 2011.

I find that my B&M's knowledge seems to end at the door. I'll just have to order it online

IndySmoker":mbx1jf5e said:
I find that my B&M's knowledge seems to end at the door. I'll just have to order it online
That's a shame, because it's assumed store owners want to stay in business. :| Any way to help them help themselves to get with it?

I only go there about once a month. Their tobacco prices are almost double what online stores are and selection is limited. Also everything has been sitting there for awhile. All the stems have that dusty look that you know it's gonna turn olive colored the second it touches your mouth. I think they stay in business mostly on cigar sales. It's actually a cool place half is cigars and the other half is pipes and pens.

Hey, tobacco "sitting there a while" is music to my ears, if that's the case, too. :D I dunno, price isn't always a factor for me with the real stores, they gotta make their overhead. It's why I find the ones that sell an experience, service and ambiance more than anything. I also like "last year's pipes." Some stores seem to get huge quantities of pipes just before the interest in them tanks, and so they hold on to a lot of them. Often, they want to get rid of them, so I always start asking nosy questions while blowing the dust off the stems and briars. :lol:

Seems like, as you said, they're floating on cigars. Which is fine. It'd be nice if the pepped up their interest in the other half of their inventory, though.

8)

Kyle Weiss":crlxxa0b said:
I also like "last year's pipes." Some stores seem to get huge quantities of pipes just before the interest in them tanks, and so they hold on to a lot of them. Often, they want to get rid of them, so I always start asking nosy questions while blowing the dust off the stems and briars. :lol:
I do that also. At some point it will come around to me saying, "Look like this one has been sitting here for a while. What's your best cash price?"

IndySmoker":nt2vjqe7 said:
"fraid your guy was blowing smoke. I spoke with Mark at smokingpipes.com this afternoon on the phone about another thing and while speaking with him, I thought of your guy's statement and asked him about that. He said he did not know where that came from as the US distributor has not stated anything of the sort. I do know that many distributors have min. order quantities which many shops don't want to meet as they might not sell that quantity in the time they want it to sit on the shelf. Kinda like a car dealer, if a unit sits in the lot over a certain length of time it starts COSTING THEM $ profit wise. So if they don't turn it over fast enough , they don't stock it, nor want to. But they don't want to tell a customer that so many times I have heard "... can't get it anymore" or such. Everyone has their manner of doing business which they feels fits their needs. Try somewhere else if he "can't" or "won't" get it :p