dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cigarstorejay

Reaction score
I was looking into buying some Fiebing dyes to use on a pipe I am finishing and wanted advice as to what colors to buy to achieve a natural finish? I was thinking of a darker brown (I'm scared to use black) as an undercoat. Then I'm not sure what to do to achieve the very popular Natural finish.

Any advice is appreciated.

Jay

cigarstorejay":4h2iu2jt said:
I was looking into buying some Fiebing dyes to use on a pipe I am finishing and wanted advice as to what colors to buy to achieve a natural finish? I was thinking of a darker brown (I'm scared to use black) as an undercoat. Then I'm not sure what to do to achieve the very popular Natural finish.

Jay
The pipes I've seen and owned, with a "natural" finish, are finished by polishing with carnuba wax, no dyes involved.

I used dark brown and then sanded it at 600 grit until all the stain was gone. Then carnuba wax and came up with this finish. It still looks natural, but makes the grain pop just a little. It's not really a natural finish because of the stain, but is a very simple finish.

dscn2419.jpg

This was only my 3rd pipe and that has been a few months ago now, so please don't mind the crappy pipe....I've come a long way since then.

Scottie

I quite like the look of that pipe actually, I certainly wouldn't think it would be out of place if I were browsing a row of artisan pipes. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself.

you re crappy pipe is not crappy at all. I bet mine will end up put crapping yours, lol. And thank you for the tip. I wasn't sure how an undercoat with a carnuba finish would look.

I appreciate that

shootist51":o6qpxhv1 said:
cigarstorejay":o6qpxhv1 said:

Jay
The pipes I've seen and owned, with a "natural" finish, are finished by polishing with carnuba wax, no dyes involved.
Do you have a picture of one like you mentioned?

As the name implies, a"natural" finished pipe has NO stain, merely polished with carnuba wax. This will impart a sort of golden/honey look to the wood when done correctly but there is NO stain.

monbla256":jb7nl383 said:
As the name implies, a"natural" finished pipe has NO stain, merely polished with carnuba wax. This will impart a sort of golden/honey look to the wood when done correctly but there is NO stain.
That "honey-ish" color is kind of what I am going for. I wasn't sure if there was a particular stain that imparted that color or if it was pure carnuba. In the wood working store, there are "natural" stains, albeit poly based.

Thank You

cigarstorejay":davkxvhf said:
monbla256":davkxvhf said:
That "honey-ish" color is kind of what I am going for. I wasn't sure if there was a particular stain that imparted that color or if it was pure carnuba. In the wood working store, there are "natural" stains, albeit poly based.

Thank You
I would stay away from
poly based" stains as they were developed as a Finish/ Coloring for wood work. I would not put ANY Poly based finishing agent on a pipe. It's supposed to breath and Poly based finishes are meant to seal the wood.

I tell ya what, my best-looking pipes are ones that had a wax-only finish, and they've colored themselves somethin' purty as they've been smoked.

8)

monbla256":90cy06jb said:
cigarstorejay":90cy06jb said:
monbla256":90cy06jb said:

Thank You
I would stay away from
poly based" stains as they were developed as a Finish/ Coloring for wood work. I would not put ANY Poly based finishing agent on a pipe. It's supposed to breath and Poly based finishes are meant to seal the wood.
It's ok to seal the wood (imho). The pores in the wood will end up sealed anyway, oils from hands, dirt, dust, etc. An extremely thick seal, or the wrong seal could affect smoking quality, but this is another hotly contested issue and since we just finished one of those threads... let's just say you'll find intelligent people on both sides.

monbla256":icmycwhe said:
cigarstorejay":icmycwhe said:
monbla256":icmycwhe said:

Thank You
I would stay away from
After watching some pipe making videos and reading on BoB, I would definitely not use a poly based stain. Fliegler (SP) has a good pipe making video on youtube where he talks about alcohol based stains. I purchased a couple of Fiebing's but think I will just sand it with some high grit stuff and wax it up with a couple of coats of carnuba. We'll see how it turns out. If it isn't right, back to sanding and maybe staining.

Do not use poly unless you don't have access to anything else,

You could use it as a last resort, I'd personally leave it stark naked before I would use poly.

I use a very thin, VERY thin mixture of shellac and linseed oil. Sand to 4 or 500 grit, really, really thorough. Apply to the stummel, it soaks in/evaporates/dries, then I go through the tripoli polishing process and end with carnauba wax.

This gives a very warm natural finish, and it will darken over time as the pipe is smoked to a deep, beautiful nut/mahogany color.

Probably my favorite finish.

april005.jpg

Sasquatch":e40k7769 said:
I use a very thin, VERY thin mixture of shellac and linseed oil.
Are the two actually mixed? I've thinned out shellac with denatured alcohol so not to have a goopy mess, but I have never liked the results.

I am working on a new super duper top secret shellac finish. I used it on the last pipe I made and it turned out really well. The shellac is thinned with denatured alcohol and some other things....and of course some love. I never thought about using oil.

Sasquatch":z6gl8oej said:
I use a very thin, VERY thin mixture of shellac and linseed oil. Sand to 4 or 500 grit, really, really thorough. Apply to the stummel, it soaks in/evaporates/dries, then I go through the tripoli polishing process and end with carnauba wax.

This gives a very warm natural finish, and it will darken over time as the pipe is smoked to a deep, beautiful nut/mahogany color.

Probably my favorite finish.

april005.jpg
THAT"S a natural finish !! Looks GOOD !! :p

scotties22":h7dcvvr5 said:
I am working on a new super duper top secret shellac finish. I used it on the last pipe I made and it turned out really well. The shellac is thinned with denatured alcohol and some other things....and of course some love. I never thought about using oil.
Love is the best secret ingredient. I've often found it mixes well with denatured alcohol...