dye used to achieve a "natural" or standard finish on a pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have a butcher block treatment that I saw at Lowes. It is food grade Shelac, basically. Anybody ever hear of it or know if it was ever used on a pipe? Might be an alternative for someone?

Completely depends on what the finish is made of. Most likely it's just a penetrating food grade oil (walnut is common).

Kyle Weiss":imomxaq5 said:
Sasquatch":imomxaq5 said:
I use a very thin, VERY thin mixture of shellac and linseed oil.
Are the two actually mixed? I've thinned out shellac with denatured alcohol so not to have a goopy mess, but I have never liked the results.
*cough bump*

8)

It's cool put me out of my misery. :lol: I've lived three lifetimes it feels like.

Otherwise, read between the lines and noted. I can experiment from there. 8)

Yeah they are actually mixed. The most traditional form of the French Polish method involves a pad with a few drops of linseed on it and a thin, high grade shellac. You can buy this mixture now, under the guise of french polish, various turner's polishes, etc. What a guy is doing on a pipe is sort of the first coat (french polish taking many, many quick coats) and walking away, and then doing a tripoli polish and wax finish rather than continuing on and doing a shellac finish.

Ba dump bump!

It takes a Polish guy to rub it on and a French guy to tell everyone how great it is.

Sasquatch":9f45xitd said:
Ba dump bump!

It takes a Polish guy to rub it on and a French guy to tell everyone how great it is.
AAH! European Aggies :p