E-Readers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been reading on my 10" Android tablet for about a year, though I have read only 6 or 8 titles in that time. As mentioned above, it's nice to be able to buy books from all major retailers rather than being stuck with just 1, plus my local library lends books electronically through another app (they've got some titles in Kindle format, too, but selection is more limited).
I appreciate the backlight, as lighting was always a pain when reading. The large format is nice, too: not as many page turns, even when I use a slightly larger font. My only potential gripe is the weight of the tablet, but I think newer models will be tipping the scales at lower weights.

I might still get a basic e-reader someday, but I think I'll wait and see. Once the "gee whiz" factor wears off, I think they'll be giving the basic models away just so you can buy e-books from them.

Don't forget with the free program, "Calibre", you can convert any document into the platform you need on your machine. It works great and I use it frequently to convert EPUB to MOBI. If will do PDF to Mobi or Epub as well, but that doesn't always come out clean.
http://calibre-ebook.com/

I, too, am a convert to the e-book. Unlike many, however, I lost the love for paper and find it a bother every time I need to read a bound book. Especially when reading in bed, I will not touch a paper book. The e-book is so much more convenient and comfortable to hold and use.

Ok, I found a downside to the Fire. I took it to FL last week and you cannot read this thing in bright sunlight, as found outdoors in much of Florida.........My first gen Kindle was perfect at the beach, the Fire kind of frustrating.

I've been a Nook fan for a good while. The original died and I got a touch. OK, but things I liked on the 1st edition more. Not a Kindle fan -- too proprietary for my taste. Have the touch and a 7" Android unit. Put 32G class 10 SD cards in both so have plenty of space for books. :)

My reading is almost exclusively via the Nook. I really like an e-paper screen.

Agree on Calibre with other posts. It a great book management tool. Anybody a Sci-Fi fan is welcome to PM me.

I am using the Kindle 1st Gen with the cool cover that has a retractable light. It's my wife's. She used it for a while but it fell out of favor with her for one reason or another.

Anyway, most nights I read to my kids at bed time with their lights off, otherwise they never fall asleep. I had become a master of holding a small LED flashlight in one hand and the book in the other flipping pages with my pointer finger. After suffering from hand cramps, and replacing numerous batteries and even a few flashlights, my wife says "Why don't you just use my Kindle?" :lol: 

Awesome device, especially for using it for my purpose. Plus I think I downloaded "The Wind in the Willows" for $0.00! :D 

I use my Nexus 7 for reading Project Gutenburg books, and it works better for me that I expected it to. These are downloaded and so I can read them offline, in the plane, etc. I have various versions of the Bible downloaded through the "YouVersion" app, and while in Honduras, I have even been reading the Daily Office online. I download the zipped html pages and save them in the google drive. I have never tried the Nook or the Kindle, but I can recommend the Nexus 7.