EARTH

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kyle Weiss":63k89fib said:
In my line of geotechnical work, to see the make-up and strata/conglomerate of certain specimen rocks, I have licked plenty.   Fortunately, flavor is not a scientifically-recognized category I can put into reports.  Perhaps if I went the other direction and found out which tobaccos they tasted like and why, I could change all of that and revolutionize the mining and exploration industry.   :mrgreen:  

8)
That would give new meaning to "pay dirt", wouldn't it!?

Ya know when I say "Earthiness" I mean it's a flavor without sweetness and just a basic tobacco taste maybe a bit on the heavy side but, just saying a "tobacco taste" I think leaves a lot to the imagination seeing there are many different tastes of tobacco. So it's just a way of conveying that it's not sweet, it's earthy, that doesn't mean it tastes like dirt. :fpalm:
Although I remember trying a few bowls of Union Square and it did taste like dirt to me.
Now you say, "How do you know what dirt tastes like?" Well if you've ever played Mumbley-peg (that's a knife game) when you were a child and lost, you'd know wouldn't you?

I think that's one of the hard things about deciphering tobacco reviews. The adjectives simply point at a flavor profile that you either get or you don't. A lot of times I can Monday quarterback a review and say "yeah, I can see what he meant by plummy, or earthy." But just reading a review is pretty much useless for me most of the time. Knowing the various component tobaccos in a blend usually is more helpful to me.

If you think about trying to explain what an orange tastes like to someone who has never seen one. Well, it's the same thing.

Earthy to me would imply: simple and devoid of any strong flavor enhancements. Dry. Most C&D offerings would make me think "earthy". Especially their Burley blends.

There are many tobaccos some wouldn't smoke just off the tin smell alone. Black Irish Twist is one that also happens to smell like a bag of steer manure and tastes little better. My favorite daily smoke is C&D Bayou Morning. It tastes outstanding to me but when I get a whiff of the tobacco in the tin it smells a little barnyard to me. Glad I went off of the ingredients of the blend or I wouldn't have tried it. As I said earlier about earthy, I love a freshly tilled garden in the spring ready to grow a good crop. One of life's simple pleasures.

mustanggt":gwg40de9 said:
There are many tobaccos some wouldn't smoke just off the tin smell alone. Black Irish Twist is one that also happens to smell like a bag of steer manure and tastes little better. My favorite daily smoke is C&D Bayou Morning. It tastes outstanding to me but when I get a whiff of the tobacco in the tin it smells a little barnyard to me. Glad I went off of the ingredients of the blend or I wouldn't have tried it. As I said earlier about earthy, I love a freshly tilled garden in the spring ready to grow a good crop. One of life's simple pleasures.
Have to agree, there's just no better smell then a damp pasture or freshly mowed hay in the morning.
And I get a manure smell from a tin Germain's Brown Flake but, you can be sure it tastes much different, just heavenly. ;)

Cart, agree 100% on freshly mowed hay. Love that. Love the smell of just threshed wheat as it comes out of the auger into the truck to go to the elevator.

I'm an Afrikaans speaking "boertjie" who grew up on a farm in the "Groot Karoo". Semi-desert type of area where, in 1960/61, not a drop of water fell from the sky for 12 months. Maybe hard to believe but, true.

So, the smell of "earth" for me means something else than for others. Yes, I did smell the earth while and after the first rains came after that severe drought. I did smell the earth when my dad ploughed little areas which was suitable for a vegetable garden, corn and wheat. And I loved it. But I also smelled the dry, dusty Karoo. I appreciate the smell of my freshly cut lawn. But the smell of rain, mixed with dirt, old motoroil, diesel, rubber and what not on our streets, is awefull.

So, I find it hard, almost impossible, to assosiate all these smells and aromas with the tobacco I'm smoking. I don't want "EARTH" in there.

I will thus continue to smoke what I like and like what I smoke and bugger the rest!! :lol:

SpeedyPete":wdju9min said:
MisterE":wdju9min said:
Cartaphilus":wdju9min said:
SpeedyPete":wdju9min said:
Cartaphilus":wdju9min said:
People that haven't tasted a little dirt in there lives aren't missing much
but, obviously have had it way too easy. ;)
Ron, I grew up very poor but despite of that, we never ate dirt neither did we chew leather :twisted:  We did not eat grass or hay either.  That was used for the farm animals only.
Did all of that when I was a kid including chew'en on lead sinkers. ;)

But we never ate paint! :no:
Eeew! I hate to think how many split shot sinkers I bit down on when fishing. :drunken:

Come to think of it, that could explain a lot!
Imagine a blend with hints of green painted lead sinkers,  a whiff of old leather gloves and well worn army boots, faint florals like grannies panties, woodsy reminders of shavings from old toilet seats and a far-off but destinct smell of tobacco.
Mm mm... I want to try that blend. :no:

MisterE":ppw81y02 said:
That would give new meaning to "pay dirt", wouldn't it!?
Here's to hopin'!   :D

SpeedyPete":ppw81y02 said:
Cartaphilus":ppw81y02 said:
And I get a manure smell from a tin Germain's Brown Flake but, you can be sure it tastes much different, just heavenly. ;)
The manure or the flake?
:snerk:   :mrgreen:

8)